Slate roof, insulation and what original timbers would have been present ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My daughter has just purchased an 1930’s inner terrace house with a back pointed slate roof. The roof has large lower and upper purlins on each side running the full length from the adjoining neighbours. The roof height does not allow anyone to stand up in the attic.

A previous owner has insulated between the rafters with mineral wool type insulation, covered this with plaster board and then covered this in places with what can only be described as thin sheets of flooring screwed on top.

In addition the attic has been boarded – when lifting (as I want to increase the level of insulation), I found what appear to be cut lengths of wood. Some have an angle end and could be hangers (is that correct ?). Others look to have a different profile.

Questions:

What would the original roof have had:
  • hangers between rafters and joists ?
  • links between rafters and the purlins ?
What should be re-instated ?

Should I pull out the plasterboard and insulation between the rafters or wait until it is re-roofed ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I don’t think the original roof would have had hangers fitted between the rafters, but if they have been fitted they should be left in place. They could have been fitted between the rafters or braced between the rafter and purlin. They may have been left out to give an air space, or because the rafters are simply supported by the purlins. If the cut lengths of wood are hangers, then leave them in place. They may also be joist hangers to support the joists from the rafters. If they are old and made from wood, then leave them in place. If they are modern, with a metal frame, then remove them and replace them with new hangers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with insulating between the rafters as long as there's an air gap between the insulation and the underside of the slates.

Sponsored Links
As built your attic would have had a binder each side (normally 4x2") running in line with the purlin at ceiling level, skew nailed to the ceiling ties with 4" nails, off this would be vertical hangars made of 2x1" nailed to a rafter to keep the ceiling from sagging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back