Slate tiles Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had a builder in at the weekend to remove a load bearing wall so we can create a large kitchen dinind room. He asked me what floor finish I was going to put down (natural slate), but he said this would all lift and chip despite PVA etc and that I should consider a fake porcelain tile instead.

Part of the floor I would be tiling is concrete, the other part I would cover with marine plywood and PVA.

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Ian

Sponsored Links
You can tile onto the concrete, but remove all dust and consider sealing with a proprietary treatment.

For the plywood covered part, just buy the correct tile adhesive - flexible AND "for wood". Buy the best quality adhesive you can find. Whether you use premixed or powdered (for you to mix) is a matter of personal choice.

Don't use PVA for any of it.

I think if you PVA it the adhesive sticks to the PVA and not the sub floor thus it can then come unstuck very easily meaning your tiles will be poping off all the time with movement

Sponsored Links
Most of the decent powdered adhesives will go straight onto the ply. Some of the readymixed may need a primer, see what it says on the tub as it varies between makes.

PVA generally weakend the bond so avoid it unless it specifically says to use it for the adhesive you choose and then make sure it is a waterproof PVA.

Jason

ianhutchinson said:
You say do not use PVA, but will the wood not need PVA before adhesive applied
Not only will it not need it, but, as someone has already pointed out, it's better without.

I get the feeling that you're one of the many people who think that PVA is an adhesive, and that it has almost magical properties. Neither of those things is true.

PVA is effective with some those materials whose surface, without the use of PVA, would be likely to break down and fail to hold onto whatever you're trying to stick to it. It works because it soaks into the porous surface and binds it to the layers underneath, AND because it acts to prevent ingres of whatever you're applying to the surface. For this reason it's important, when using PVA, to let it become very tacky, or even dry, and not rush ahead when it's still wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back