Slates on Roof Question

Unfortunately I can't see your images, it says something about unsecure site. If he didn't know the slates would be nailed to the barge board then I'm not sure which school of roofing he went to!

Sorry to be dumb.... so is it perfectly normal to nail the end row of slates to the barge board? Is it normal to have to break them off to remove them, or can they still be removed in one piece and replaced? He says they had to be broken off.

Sponsored Links
the word fixings is obviously bothering you.. fixings in this case = nails (clout nails )

each slate is secured by nailing in this case, two nails in each slate including halfs.

its perfectly possible to remove a slate intact, ready for reuse

your guys have trotted off to the nearest builders merchant and picked up which ever slate they stocked in this case a Spanish slate.

Yours are a welsh, looks like a 12 x 20 or broad countess or 20 x 10 countess.. both are easily obtained and at least a near match

the word fixings is obviously bothering you.. fixings in this case = nails (clout nails )

each slate is secured by nailing in this case, two nails in each slate including halfs.

its perfectly possible to remove a slate intact, ready for reuse

your guys have trotted off to the nearest builders merchant and picked up which ever slate they stocked in this case a Spanish slate.

Yours are a welsh, looks like a 12 x 20 or broad countess or 20 x 10 countess.. both are easily obtained and at least a near match

Thanks! It was as I suspected, but I just wanted to be sure with the terminology as I'm no expert (obviously!)

Do you (or anyone with any knowledge) have a view from looking at the photos as to how the Spanish slate are fixed? They've clearly moved whereas the originals that have been there 40 years are still in good nick. What's gone wrong? I think the originals are 40x25cm (15.7" x 9.8")

Would the gaps between the slates (photo 3) be significant in terms of allowing wind to get under/between the slates?

Thanks for the replies.

That work you have had done there is poor in every way.
As already pointed out by datarebal

Sponsored Links
poorly fixed with nails of some sort... assuming the batten is in good condition.

your slates are indeed in good nick. shame its all messed up

poorly fixed with nails of some sort... assuming the batten is in good condition.

your slates are indeed in good nick. shame its all messed up

Thanks. And how would you best prove that the mess is due to poor workmanship rather than actual wind/storm damage?

Last edited:
You can not prove anything. Other than no lead flashing was used. They said they used galv fixings which I'm sure they did.
Without stripping back to see how they were fixed nothing can be sure.. only a guess at what has been done judging by the care shown.

You can not prove anything. Other than no lead flashing was used. They said they used galv fixings which I'm sure they did.
Without stripping back to see how they were fixed nothing can be sure.. only a guess at what has been done judging by the care shown.

OK thanks. One final question. Would you just chalk it down to experience and get someone else to come and repair it?

To be clear - they originally didn't quote for removing slates when replacing the barge-boards. They said that on getting up on the roof that the slates had to be broken off as they were heavily screwed and nailed to the barge board and couldn't be removed in one piece - they said they didn't/couldn't know this when providing the original quote.

We presume they did all that was needed when they replaced them, but we don't have it written down as they didn't send details of what was to be done.

It was only after they were damaged that they sent a new quote which said that they would repair and remove the damaged slates and using "lead flashing" and "galvanised fixings" for the replacements.

Not used and no need to use ..
I agree, sarking felt/ membrane , undercloak, bargeboard -no need for lead flashing ,which is why I queried it. I might be missing something ( I suppose you could put lead flashings over the bargeboards, but not necessary :!:) I just can't see where a lead flashing would ever be necessary in that roof verge situation.

well lets hope santa brings them new trowels for xmas.
The gaps in slates are simply incorrect size replacement.. If the same size slate was not available at the time it would have been simple enough to get bigger slate and cut to size.
no major task for a roofing company..
The gaps alone would not have caused the issue here, there are slating styles that call for wide spacing...but they must be fixed securely

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back