sticking replacement slates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had our roof re-slated last year and the roofers used a type of mastic/ glue instead of copper/lead wires to secure broken slates ( its looks like black rubber). Can anyone advise me what to buy and where from as we've had a small extension added and we've got a broken slate. The roof looks great using this type of fixing as there's no visible signs that slates hve been replaced.

Regards,

Bill

Sponsored Links
Hi,If you had your roof re slated then why would you or they need mastic

We had our roof re-slated last year and the roofers used a type of mastic/ glue instead of copper/lead wires to secure broken slates ( its looks like black rubber). Can anyone advise me what to buy and where from as we've had a small extension added and we've got a broken slate. The roof looks great using this type of fixing as there's no visible signs that slates hve been replaced.

Regards,

Bill

Sponsored Links
Hi,

We had our slate roof repaired last year and the roofers used a type of mastic/ glue instead of copper/lead wires to secure broken slates
There you go - for the pedants :rolleyes:

Many thanks DAZB for the Screwfix suggestion, if you have used this product does it set like a rubber. As for some of the other replies the roofers we used are first class tradesmen but slates can crack and the first high wind will see them break off. By using this method the visual apperance is maintained.

Regards,

Bill

[use mastic if you like but I use the hall hooks hallclip.co.uk if you want to see what they are.quote="Cowboys";p="2066819"]Many thanks DAZB for the Screwfix suggestion, if you have used this product does it set like a rubber. As for some of the other replies the roofers we used are first class tradesmen but slates can crack and the first high wind will see them break off. By using this method the visual apperance is maintained.

Regards,

Bill[/quote]

Yes it has the appearance of rubber once set.

My tuppence worth...From a personal point of view there is nothing worse than going up to repair a roof which has in previous repairs been slabbered up with silicone or any other adhesive! You attempt to remove 1 broken slate and end up with a patch of 3 or 4.
Mechanical fixings every time, And for the most part are invisble to the naked eye from ground level.

Hello,
you should always use mechanical fixings for slates,
try 'Jenny Twins' these work and are not visible.

[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back