Rust marks on slates + copper wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We live in a relatively new bungalow and we have noticed a few areas of the roof slates have rust marks, should these be changed. Also we've also had a number of other roofing repairs and we now have numerous slates held in with copper wire, is there a maximum number before we can require for the entire roof to be re-slated.

Regards,

Bill

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your roof is covered with a low grade slate maybe even a second.. The rust staining are mineral inclusions which are actually rusting away. As the years go by these will eventually become holes.

Take a closer look to see if you can spot small imperfections in the slate where the staining is. If so thats the problem.

Repairs, there is no maximum but on a "relatively new bungalow" roof there should be none!!
can you post a picture?

Please see photo attached I would welcome your advice.

Regards,

Bill

Ok looked at the pic.. to be honest not what I expected to see.. The slate appears not to be a second.Slating looks ok. pointing on the hip looks iffy but that could be the picture.

The staining is run off from a pirite or something within the slate, It would be shame to rip out the slate and spoil the slating. If it was my house i'd leave well alone.. Really nothing to worry about.

As far as the repairs, why were these required ? broken slates maybe?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice on the slates. The reason for all of this work is that we basically purchased the bungalow from hell. The new company that's been employed to rectify all of the faults have their roofers removing all of the hip and ridge tiles and rebedding them and screwing them into place. There all dozens of broken and cracked slates which are being replaced, the roof ventilation tiles are next because they leak water in through the fans and into the bathrooms when its frosty, don't know why, any ideas. You will see from the other photographs that the hip rafters weren't installed correctly and it took 2 joiners 3 days to rectify that. Hence my need for knowledgeable guys like you to advise of right and wrong. Zurich and the Local Authority are to blame as they carried out inspections and issued certificates, has anyone sued these bodies.

All advice gratefully received.

Bill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back