slatted fencing on a budget

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We like the look of the horizontal slatted fences that are popping up here and there.

http://www.houzz.com/uk/photos/1965458/parsons-green-contemporary-deck-london

We have approx 25m to cover and looking at the product from Silva Timber - red cedar - 19mm depth x 38mm high x 2.4m long ... this will cost us a pretty penny or three but no doubt look great.

Has anyone tried something similar but with deck board? We're thinking a budget alternative would be to use the smooth face of timber deck boards that are of a similar thickness to the red cedar but 3 times the height - 19mm depth x 118mm high x 2.4m length

http://www.savoytimber.com/value-de...7fWDfcDWeBNEAGlAtS3rDEb79EDR4enNDeBoCHXjw_wcB

so - fewer boards required, pressure treated, cheaper .... or is this the thinkings of a mad man?[/img]

Sponsored Links
It looks plausible, but will look like exactly what it is - a fence made from decking.

Cheers
Richard

Does it have to be red cedar? If it's only for the fencing (in other words, not something you will really come into contact with) why not sawn treated softwood of a similar size, stained to the colour of you choice? Looks like it would only cost about one fifth of the red cedar.

Does it have to be red cedar? If it's only for the fencing (in other words, not something you will really come into contact with) why not sawn treated softwood of a similar size, stained to the colour of you choice? Looks like it would only cost about one fifth of the red cedar.

Nope not particularly... I just need some wood that will remain in place, not warp and require little maintenance (not asking for much am I?!)

Sponsored Links
Some decent quality treated stuff, with more treatment applied now and again, should last a while. And you could replace it several times over without spending as much as you'd spend on the red cedar.

the cheapest way to recreate this look is to use roofing battens. They are 2x1'' but cheap as chips and come in long lengths.

Trying to stain or paint them is painful though and probably easiest before you put them on.

They are also rough sawn but really not that rough usually and i quite like that.

Thanks for all the responses.

Seems like roof battens may be a way to go. Found these in the same dimensions as the red cedar and the savings on materials are significant!

How best would I treat these before fitting them - would I paint on some sort of sealant?

Take your pick from the various stains available for sheds and fences. Plenty of recommendations have been made on here. Personally I have had best results with solvent based Ronseal stuff.

Thanks wrathkeg!

I need approx 400 lengths of 2.4m... Plus a heck of a long time to treat, stain and fit!

Thinking of tackling the project over the winter (December)... Unless you think this is best done in warmer times (spring?)

Unless it's freezing, or pouring down with rain, I would attempt it at any time.

Be aware that you are looking at planed timber and most shed, fence treatments etc. say they are for rough sawn timber. It will also give a different final look. Also in the link you posted it gives different sizes in the title from the description which is a bit worrying.

I think r896neo probably had in mind something like this, which is much cheaper again:

http://www.championtimber.com/Timber/treated-timber/25-x-38mm-sawn-carcassing-dry-treated

EDIT: it looks like you removed your link. Oh well.

Not so much that planed would doesn't need treating: just that the preservers I've seen aren't intended for it. I suspect it's because they would wash or flake off, but that's just a guess.

The sawn timber will be no rougher than the timber you see on regular sawn timber fences. So fine for your purposes.

Yip I deleted the link once I realised that it cost as much as the red cedar!

Here it is again

http://www.championtimber.com/timbe...-planed-amp-chamfered-4-edges#branches-footer

The sawn stuff looks good... Assuming it's not too rough,.... But are you saying that planed timber wouldn't need treating?

The stuff in that link is treated for ground contact = Good. Most battens are treated for use class 2 (behind rainscreen or tiles), this is a poor level of treatment for an exposed use.

Planed vs sawn is just appearance, nothing to do with treatment, though a sawn finish will look rougher.

Re-treat any cut ends

Use an end grain sealent for a long life.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back