Closeboard fence advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be building a 25m closeboard fence, probably similar construction to the attached image except with metal posts.
The boards will be 2.4m high and I will probable have a horizontal board along the bottom.
I noticed they seem to come in two widths 125mm or 150mm. Is there much of a difference or is one more suitable than the other?
Also is there anything other bits of advice as I have never built a fence before :)

Sponsored Links
You need Planning Permission for a fence over 1m high adjacent to a highway or over 2m elsewhere.

Did not know that. That's why i use this forum.
there is a fence there already which is what im replacing. At its highest it is 2.1m so i will check with the council.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I looked on the PP site this morning and assuming I did it correctly, it stated a £175 fee. Seems a little steep for something i would consider a minor area of the PP process.

Anyone got advice on the actual boards?

My personal experience is to use the 125mm boards,

When putting them up, you have a 25mm overlap to "pin" the previous board in with, and this way, each board takes up 100mm of the fence, which makes it easier to calculate the number needed...

21m = 210 boards, you may want to add in a few extra in case any come warped or with large knots in them that may fall out and leave a hole.

there is no real difference though, other than the measurement...

Thanks.
I thought as much but just wanted to check first.
Had to quickly build a fence the weekend at my wifes salon due to a break in and used the 125mm boards. Does makes the maths much easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back