Slave labour in the Uk exists - official!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Funny how Ms "I don't want to work at pound-land, as it's not what I studied for" is now working in a supermarket.

You know, doing exactly what the scheme was supposed to encourage, getting scroungers into work even if it's not what they "want" to do.

Oh yea, sorry, TORIES SLAVES RAAAAGGEEEE!

Back to Work schemes of this type also existed under the last Labour government. It's DWP policy, which inevitably is made and ran by senior civil servants.
Personally I don't have a problem with the policy although sometimes it's practise is badly managed. Most people on JSA want to work, those that don't inevitably find a way to claim some other benefit.

I dont think it make sense to take someone out of a sucessfully volentry job for a good cause and move them to another place, nor for a graduate to be stack in shelves for very long. However the solution to this is not to can the back to work scheme.

Lest not forget, if they really done like it, they can alway simply stop claiming job seekers allowance and fund there own sitting on a coach doing jack all.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Funny how Ms "I don't want to work at pound-land, as it's not what I studied for" is now working in a supermarket.

You know, doing exactly what the scheme was supposed to encourage, getting scroungers into work even if it's not what they "want" to do.

It has obviously escaped your pea-like, but the issue is about being paid for work...:rolleyes:

Unless of course you believe that big business ought to be subsidised by us...

Perhaps she is getting paid for it?

Big problem with back to work schemes is, the DWP state that you have to be actively looking and available for work, in order to qualify for any benefits. Tell me how on earth someone is actively looking and available for work, when that same person is spending 6hrs a day working for nothing for a multi million pound company?
Do you think Poundland (and any other company involved in the scheme) are exploiting the unemployed for their own profit? I certainly do. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that someone at the DWP has taken a backhander to supply free labour to these companies. It's morally and ethically wrong to expect anyone to work for nothing (no matter what experience it gives them)
Almost certainly, goes against the governments minimum wage.
Doesn't make any difference that this young lady has had a university education, the DWP have taken advantage of the fact that she found difficulty getting a job (at a time when ATOS are creating a whole new army of unemployed disabled people)

but the issue is about being paid for work...:rolleyes:

The purpose of such work is to give experience and keep a work ethic, it's training.

Plenty of benefit schemes require claimants to go on various courses to ensure that they become or remain employable, yet no one cries about those being "unpaid", but involve a business and everyone cries slavery and exploitation :rolleyes:

joinerjohn said:
It's morally and ethically wrong to expect anyone to work for nothing

Tit.

We recently had a student work for us for "free", cept it actually cost us money in all the time spent teaching him stuff as that outweighed what he put back in.

Which we knew beforehand and have no problem with, but titz like you would stop working for "free".

I dont think it make sense to take someone out of a sucessfully volentry job

Well, other than it didn't pay or didn't lead to work, highly successful!

She got a degree in an area where there are no jobs, which is why she is now still working in a supermarket and not in archaeology, sending her to work in pound-land was only trying to force her to do what she should have been doing anyway, getting a job wherever she could.

AronSearle";p="2674738 said:
She got a degree in an area where there are no jobs, which is why she is now still working in a supermarket and not in archaeology, sending her to work in pound-land was only trying to force her to do what she should have been doing anyway, getting a job wherever she could.

Absolutely spot on!!

but the issue is about being paid for work...:rolleyes:

The purpose of such work is to give experience and keep a work ethic, it's training.

Utter bo***ks. The purpose of this scheme is to make money out of those unfortunate enough to find themselves out of work.
I do wonder now, whether you are the MD of Poundland and are whingeing about lost profits.
As I said in my last post, the DWP expect a person to be available for work. People working 30hrs for f all are not available for work for those 30hrs. They are however still expected to be actively looking for work. I bet you'd have them on the fookin night shift, so at least they could look for work during the day.
Before I took up my present position, I was asked by the company I work for to do some voluntary work for them. The DWP told me it was against their rules to even consider voluntary work as I wasn't then available for work. I pointed out to them that I was being offered a job, and the blind tw@ts at the DWP, still couldn't see further than the script in front of them.

AronSearle, I sincerely and honestly hope that in the very near future, your sacked from your present job ( redundancy would be too kind) and are forced onto such a scheme as these people were ( I wouldn't be surprised if you were the one to tell the DWP that their scheme was against the law though and you'd have no part of it)

Oh dear A*rS*e...

Not only do you not get the point about slave labour, but you actually condone it...

As for 'employing' somebody for 'free' but saying it 'cost you'...

Why bother employing anyone at all if a freebie costs you more than your business can extract?

Sounds to me the freeloader is you!

Where does it say she's working at a supermarket?

There was a bit reported from her earlier...

"I don't think I am above working in shops like Poundland. I now work part-time in a supermarket. It is just that I expect to get paid for working."

Well done Cait Reilly for exposing the tory slavery scheme...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/feb/12/graduate-poundland-government-work-schemes

The government's employment strategy lies in tatters after judges declared that almost all work-for-your-benefit schemes were unlawful

Camoron and his puppet masters are intent on turning back the clock to the 1930's...

It's time more like her stood up to the bullies !

Unfortunately, the judgment is purely about technicalities in DWP regulations, nothing to do with the ethics of Mandatory Work schemes or "forced labour"
(full text here: http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/reilly-wilson-v-secretary-state.pdf ).
A minor embarrassment for IDS, but a bit of i-dotting and t-crossing at the DWP and it'll soon be Business As Usual.

Sponsored Links
Back