Slave or Master

PTH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fairly new PC which came with a CD r/w drive. My previous PC died shortly after fitting a new DVD/CD r/w, I've fitted this to the new PC as a slave, but I'm having problems.

The new drive is listed as a DVD/CD r/w in the hardware list in XP but as soon as I insert a writable DVD it magically becomes a CD. If I try to write to the CD using the OEM software (Nero) I'm told that "Drive E is inaccessible"

Will it make a difference if I change the dipswitches to Master, obviously setting the original CD r/w to Slave?

I haven't yet tried to re-install the drive, but will do tonight.

Sponsored Links
Also, try taking out the original CD r/w and putting in the new one as a replacement.

It helps to know a little more about your system spec. DVD model and operating system

If the drive is being recognised, then swapping them and changing jumpers will probably make no difference.

Have you tried the DVD drive on it's own?

Are you using the correct version of Nero and in the correct mode? It usually defaults to CD and you select DVD by clicking the DVD tab.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice, both.

Some success. Having threatened it with a lump hammer, it sulked for a bit then allowed me to start burning my first DVD, I'll let you know if it is successful.

Further information is that the drive is an Emprex 16x DVD Dual layer read/write/rewrite DRW11161M

Back