Sleepers for Edging of Artificial Lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I hope that someone can advise me or share their experience if a similar situation has occurred with them.

I am getting an artificial lawn laid & will use sleepers for the edging. Sleeper lengths planned are 3.6m and 4.8m and I was pretty much committed to pressure treated pine sleepers as I can get them in one piece. However, it is commonly stated that oak sleepers last longer.

The aim is to have the sleepers laid (wider side facing up) in such a way that the lawn is not flush with the ground and the sleepers form an edge/border which will have gravel on the other side. My concern is that the pine will rot and when it does removing and replacing it will compromise the lawn which is retained inside it.

Does anyone have any advice on whether to use pine or oak? In particular:

a) would you use oak or pine?
b) has anyone that has used pressure treated/tanalised pine experienced rotting edging after a short period of time?
c) if treated pine is used what is the best way of preventing degradation of the wood?
d) can the edge be removed without compromising how the lawn is laid?
e) if the default tanalised timber edge is used by the lawn fitters who do they resolve the pine rotting issue & replacement of the pine edge?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the grass butts to the sleeper rather than sitting under it changing sleeper should be simple, had mine down a while and they are fine, gave them a coat of decking oil.

Hi Foxhole, your garden looks lovely. Do you have pine or oak sleepers?

Also, have you actually changed your sleeper? I am curios because the sleeper is acting as a retaining wall/edge when artificial turf is laid. Does the MOT sub 1 base & granite sand become set in place allowing sleepers to be changed later without affecting the grass.

Regards

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back