timber sleeper advice/thoughts/suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I've got hold of some treated softwood sleepers (greenish tanalised variety) that are 250mmx125mm. I intend using them to edge an area of a lawn, so they will be sitting on grass/soil.
1) I was wondering if there was anything I could to prolong their lives and prevent/delay rotting. I was thinking about adding a layer of sharp sand under them, or maybe some plastic lining of some sort, or painting the bottom edge with some kind of bitumen type of substance. Any thoughts?

2) following on from query 1, what would be the best treatment to colour/treat them with? I have used cuprinol shades paint, ronseal water-based eco stuff (can't remember the exact name). Now that creosote can't be used, is there anything that will help and colour the greenish sleeper?

I should mention the area of the lawn is more damp than usual owing to the high water table in the garden. Added to which, it does get a lot of sunlight. Is splitting and rot inevitable, or is there something I can do to ward it off?

Any advice, thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1) I would say sit them on pea shingle rather than sand as it will drain more freely. You could add some kind of damp-proof material but plastic might not be particularly durable.

2) creosote has been banned but Wickes were doing something called Creocote so you could get the same colouring if that's the kind of thing you're after. Not sure if they still do it - was a couple of years back.

Given the exposure you mention you must expect splitting and rot to occur but hard to estimate timescale.

thanks for the response. Pea shingle is a good idea. Not really bothered about the creosote colour (frankly I'd prefer a different shade, but not too fussy about what.) The reason I mentioned creosote, was because that was always considered the best thing for treating timber. I hear the modern stuff is as good, but have no experience of what is the best thing to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back