Sliding patio door draught

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Hope someone could offer some advice please. We've had a new sliding patio door installed but there is a draught getting in down the middle of the door (where the two doors meet).

I don't know much about these things but I don't think the moving door is coming over far enough to properly interlock with the stationary door. You can clearly see the brushes on the outside door and they only come up against the side of the moving door - they don't properly overlap with it.

The installer came out to have a look and said it's interlocking fine but surely the brushes need to overlap the other door to create a proper seal? As it stands, the brushes are pretty much out in the open and you can see them getting soaked with the rain. Should the brushes really be hidden from view?

I'm not sure if the frame of the unit is just a touch too small as the door can't move any further. When you look directly down the middle, you can see about a cm of the left hand side of the outside strip - does that seem too much? I wouldn't expect them to align perfectly but would expect there to be less of the outside door visible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Have you a picture? I would expect them to line up when closed.

Have you a picture? I would expect them to line up when closed.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply, I've attached a couple of pictures :)

Window 1.jpg
Window 2.jpg

I had that.

The patio-door repairman, who I asked to adjust them, diagnosed that the builders opening had been too tight, so the doors were too big to fit. It could also happen if either of the sides was bowed or out of vertical. Try it with a long sprit level.

He got me a new glass unit, about half an inch smaller, and cut a bit off the components of the door so it fitted. It is now draught free, more soundproof, and I don't get dust and dirt collecting inside.

Not a DIY job.

I can understand why the installer would try to fob you off rather than take on the extra work and expense of doing it properly.

Sponsored Links
Yeah that looks a mess really. I can't see its meant to be like that at all. Like John says I doubt its an easy fix if it even can be fixed without a new door of the correct size.

Thanks both, that's a huge help! I will definitely be taking this further then.

I don't totally understand how it works but I'm assuming the whole unit goes into the hole in the wall and, if it fits but there is still the problem that I'm experiencing, then the problem is with the unit itself rather than the size of the hole in the wall?

This will affect who is responsible - the installer or the manufacturer. Thanks again!

Usually you would have a large rectangular / square frame and the maybe a fixed side or two sliding panels but the panels have to sized so that when they are both in either their static or closed position that the central bars line up. If is a single sliding door it looks like that maybe a bit too wide. Unless as said above there is bowing in the frame and it is somehow preventing the sliding door moving fully over that last cm or so but I think you would noticed that when yo came to lock it or by gaps on the locking edge.

Thanks Jadele, that's really useful. Someone is coming out to have another look so I'll let you know how I get on! At least now I know for sure that it's not right.

if you can find the specification of the unit, it probably says (e.g.) 1800mm wide

Measure yours

If it has been squeezed into a 1780 gap, that must be the installers fault.

I think they usually use a slightly loose hole and then packers to make it tight, then foamed the gap.

I once had some new wooden windows, the builder used a cutting disk so the frames were a close sliding fit.

Unfortunately I don't have the spec so can't check this.

Forgive my ignorance about these things but how can the unit fit into a space in the wall that's too small? Can the unit frame be adjusted or something? Or can this type of thing just be squeezed in? Sorry for the basic questions!

The funny thing is, if anything, I'd have expected the unit to be measured too small as when the surround was removed from the old patio door there were large gaps down either side! Thanks again :)

You can't fit an 1800mm patio frame into a 1780mm opening, also as it looks like a patiomaster or similar brand then the frame is probably welded as opposed to machanically joined at the corners, tis means you cant reduce the frame on site as it'll need to be cut at the corners and re-welded in the factory.
It's a possibility that during installation the fixed sash has not been screwed tight enough to the frame which would mean it is using up more than half of the opening.

Is the draft all the way up the center or just at the top and bottom in the centre?
Some makes come with a square pile pad to stick on at the top and bottoms and they could have been missed out

It's definitely more noticeable at the top and bottom but a bit up the middle too.

Do you think the brushes should be overlapping the other door? Thanks for the help everyone!

yours may be different, but mine had a definite interlock where the two panes came together.

Think of two "U"s on their sides, open ends facing each other, with a slight overlap. And the brush or fur pile on one should lightly press on the frame of the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back