Sliding plaster

M

marsaday

What did i do wrong the other day when i plastered over a wall.

It was half board and half old wall painted with emulsion.

I scored the wall and rubbed it with a wire brush. The paint wouldnt come off so all was ok.

I primed the wal 24h before and then applied a 4to1 mix of pva before plastering. I let it go off and skimmed.

The board was fine obviously, but the wall was a problem at the bottom and kept sliding. as i trowled.

I did it, but i didnt try and finish it off as much as i would like and so i will fill the lower section which is not as smooth.

Did i not leave the pva to go off enough ?

Sponsored Links
On slippery surfaces you are better using neat PVA and trowelling on when it is tacky. Or making up a PVA/SBR cement slurry and painting that on first so it is rough when you plaster.

I scored the wall and rubbed it with a wire brush. The paint wouldnt come off so all was ok.

I primed the wal 24h before and then applied a 4to1 mix of pva before plastering. I let it go off and skimmed.

The board was fine obviously, but the wall was a problem at the bottom and kept sliding. as i trowled.

I did it, but i didnt try and finish it off as much as i would like and so i will fill the lower section which is not as smooth.

what you did wrong was not listening to richards c or my advice that some paints need a bonding agent to provide a key, and simple pva would not be enough, sounds to me like the skim was slipping because you had no key and you might as well be trying to skim glass

You can skim glass if you PVA it first.

Sponsored Links
You don't need a fancy grit, just time your PVA tackiness and go. Or add plaster or sand to your PVA.
Plaster sticks to a plastic bucket so it'll stick to tiles or glass. But at the end of the day it's all down to the skill of the plasterer. Can't see why you'd want to skim glass anyway.

You don't need a fancy grit, just time your PVA tackiness and go. Or add plaster or sand to your PVA.
Plaster sticks to a plastic bucket so it'll stick to tiles or glass. But at the end of the day it's all down to the skill of the plasterer. Can't see why you'd want to skim glass anyway.
no amount of skill is going to enable you to skim surfaces with the wrong mats and prep, also how well do plaster stick to plastic buckets? also i used to use sand in pva and found it a very poor substitute for any of the bonding agents, and i was refering to the likness of skimming glass rather than actually wanting to skim it

You do it your way then. I'll live in the real world.

what you did wrong was not listening to richards c or my advice that some paints need a bonding agent to provide a key, and simple pva would not be enough, sounds to me like the skim was slipping because you had no key and you might as well be trying to skim glass

No matey i did listen to his advise and tested the paint. It didnt come off. It was fine.

I realise now i didnt key the bottom section as much as the top as you loose power lower down as you key. This was the problem.

Anyway it is all done and looks fine. Just was a pain doing the lower bit.

the areas that was sliding will just be sitting on your wall and be more prone to cracks as it will not have adhered to the wall using a bonding agent on the paint as suggested would have stopped that

Yeah but I save the world every week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back