Sliding robe doors mounted on a gloss plank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've installed sliding robes into our bedroom. I put down a half inch thick plank of wood for the bottom rail to sit on, and painted this white (gloss) to go with the rest of the woodwork in the room. Looks great and the doors sit nicely, but when I roll the doors back and forth I get a series of snapping/crackling noises where the bottom rail presses down into the glossed wood, sticks and then pops back up again. It sounds horrible and I was wondering if there's a trick I've missed (maybe putting an inconspicuous strip of felt between the bottom rail and the glossed wood?)

Cheers in advance for any advice,
Gord

Sponsored Links
The doors should not be bearing on that wood at all, they should be hanging from the top track.

Aye? I wondered about that, but the bits at the top don't seem to be designed for hanging.

Here's the wooden doors (I have two of these, fairly light):
http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/bedroo...38276&ef_id=UvE0eQAABXa66wf1:20140409155129:s

And we have two mirrored ones (v heavy - I can't see the plastic hangers bearing their weight and suspending them without them 'popping' off like they do when you remove the doors):
http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/bedroo...Ferrara-Oak-Style-W-762mm-11147569?icamp=recs

Do these look like doors that should not be putting any weight on the bottom track?

Cheers,
Gord

Sponsored Links
Aye? I wondered about that, but the bits at the top don't seem to be designed for hanging.
Well - "should be hanging from the top track" might preclude shed rubbish.

In a properly designed sliding door system the doors should be suspended from the top track, and run on rollers. The bottom track is there just to guide the doors.

Do these look like doors that should not be putting any weight on the bottom track?
Can't tell from that. What do the installation instructions say?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back