slightly unusual fixing query re lath & plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some very nice stainless steel hooks that I am looking to fix into an old lath and plaster wall.

The hooks are a contemporary, simple style that are simply a curved L-shape. The length of the hook has a thread on it and is designed to simply screw into a rawplug.

I have tried using a plasterboard specific rawplug - the plastic type that expand out behind the plasterboard.

A bit like these:

www.screwfix.com/prods/58219/Fixing...er-Plasterboard-Plugs-HDF-4mm-8ga-Pack-of-100

These don't work as the plaster is too thick and the expandable bit just gets mangled up.

My preference is to the the screw type metal fixings like these:
www.screwfix.com/prods/34215/Fixings/Cavity-Fixings/Metal-RediDrivas-50mm-Pack-of-100

I generally find these the best typw of fixing into old plaster but the only ones I can find are not wide enough - ie the diameter of the screw (approx 6mm)

Anyone able to either advise where I may be able to get wider metal fixings or alternatively offer a better suggestion for fixing?

The hooks are to hang coats on so that gives you an idea of the sort of weight they will be taking.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Just make sure that you screw straight into the lath and you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
AR! where do you find these gems of websites, wondering if there's a limit to the amount of bookmarks i can have :LOL: certainly a limit to how many you can have before you can find anything again.

AR! where do you find these gems of websites, wondering if there's a limit to the amount of bookmarks i can have :LOL: certainly a limit to how many you can have before you can find anything again.

i have so many bookmarks i cant find anything i'm looking for. :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back