Slkight weep on Rad valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the balancing valve on a radiator it is weeping ever so slightly from the 15mm compression nut.
The house was recently rented and I noticed pipe pulled away from the pipe clips, so it looks like it had been disturbed.
Resesated pipe, undid the compression fitting nut, and refitted.

Overnight it is still weeping ..... such a tiny amount it can't be seen, but I had put down a dry cloth and it is damp.

Tried putting 1/4 turn extra on compression fitting ......... if this does not fix it ..... seen 2 'tweaks' done by plumbers.

1. remove pipe, wrap 2 turns of PTFE tape around the olive and refit., probably would also put PTFE tapes around the compression fitting threads as well

OR

2. remove pipe, and smear olives and olive seat with Fernox LS-X joint sealer.

Thoughts on either approach?

I know ideally I should cut out the pipe, (its a 90 degree slow bend to the horizontal pipe under the rad) bend a new piece, and then solder that in place.
Just a lot of work I'd rather not do now.

Sponsored Links
If you can leave it a couple of days it'll probably stop by itself - they usually do. LS-X would work - let it set. If you use ptfe don't put it on the threads. It does nothing there.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back