Weeping compression fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I re-plumbed our radiators today. I used some new copper pipe on some and re-did the compression fittings with new olives etc.

I thought I did them perfect, plenty of PTFE tape, but when I refilled the system I found two leaks, both in the same spot on different radiators.

They were weeping ever so slightly from the bottom of compression nut that compresses the olive. So drips would runs down the pipe.

I redid the fittings 3 times, tried a different nut but one still leaks slightly. I really don't know what I did wrong.

Should I be using some sealer around the compression olive? It doesn't make sense to me that the ptfe tap is faulty as surely it would be leaking from the top of the nut, not the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Use a jointing compound such as Hawk White. A smear around the olive and a little on the threads will reduce the friction and gaurantee a leak free fitting.

Teflon tape is for tapered fittings as they seal on the thread, no need for it on olives.
I always clean the pipe with steelwool, little burrs can make an olive leak.
If you want to be perfect, you can put a little gassealant on the pipe before you slip the olive on, though in theory it should not be necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back