Sloping floor and large tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I renovated a 1930s house 3 years ago. The survey did not note any structural issues. The walls were covered in 2 to 4 layers of wallpaper and there were various layers of flooring also, with a layer or two of lino beneath carpets in the bathroom and bedrooms and 4 layers of lino/ lino tiles on the kitchen floor. Ceiling tiles covered ceilings. Hence no cracks would have been visible when the survey was done. I stripped all wall, ceiling and floor coverings. This revealed many cracks on ceilings and walls. All walls downstairs were skimmed, ceilings were skimmed and also boarded where particularly bad and there was some patching done upstairs. No cracks have reopened.

The bathroom floor slopes down towards the back wall and internal wall, where the bath had been. Under a 40 mm wide unit that is fitted level on the back wall there is a 3 mm gap to the floor at one corner and 13 mm at the other. The bedroom on the other side has a sloped floor in one corner down to this same point. The concrete floor of the kitchen below slopes down to the outside wall. The rooms either side have suspended wooden floors. There had been a crack in the concrete at the doorway to the kitchen.

I'm hoping that any movement is old. The house is on firm clay. There is a large silver birch about 6 m from the house, its taller than the 2 storey house now. The previous owners planted many trees, I removed one within 5 m of the house 3 years ago. The birch roots are visible above the grass up to about 2 m from the house.

Would the silver birch be close enough to cause subsidence? Should the sloping floors be cause for concern?

Sponsored Links
why not post pics of your questionable areas?

even a mortgage surveyor would have seen the trees.
even a treeless root system can cause problems to a structure.
why not google sites that give details of tree issues?

have you been under the house and looked for damage or roots?

polystyrene tiles on ceilings or walls are typically red flags for hiding something.

post a plan view of the house showing position of any trees - past or present and whats sloping where

71711868-D114-4010-8A97-C947E64BAA28.jpeg D16CF258-ECA8-43C9-8C54-8EA24E89A058.jpeg 1B555EBC-94CA-4C69-89EE-10DBF0C229AE.jpeg 1A5CEFEF-1255-4030-B81A-F082CEEC086E.jpeg 43080EA2-1D39-4EE7-AE3E-CB28363C8485.jpeg
The dip on the bathroom floor is visible beneath the unit. It’s likely historic as the solid brick internal wall to the right is not in line with a wall downstairs. The ceiling shows the kitchen below this wall, the internal wall below stops at the kitchen to the left.

The tree, nice as it is, has got much bigger since I purchased the house.

Attachments

• 6B554C02-2145-4E90-83DF-A0AD546CDDD8.jpeg
    6B554C02-2145-4E90-83DF-A0AD546CDDD8.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 367
Sponsored Links
OP, google for tree info as suggested.
obviously the tree will grow as the mortgage surveyor should have noted.

roots will take moisture from clay, possibly making the clay unstable.
no cracks are visible on your pics but i notice that you have three wastes and a RWP going from a hopper into a gulley?
or straight into the ground?

given the relatively new wall tile then the gaps must have appeared since the wall was tiled?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back