Sloping floors, help for a newbie?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m a newbie and this topic’s been sort of addressed but still not sure if I should go ahead. My floor slopes drastically, from one side of the room to the other it’s about four inches drop, room is about 10 ft wide. There’s a distinct slope from the dividing wall from next door house and it levels out a bit at the wall which divides the bedroom and lounge. Kind of a bow shape from one dividing wall to the other. Survey said this is due to subsidence over time but no recent movement, no cracking in walls etc. It’s a top floor flat in a Victorian terrace.

Am amateur DIYer, mostly decorating but done basic carpentry. I want to put down new wood floor anyway so thought I might as well fix the slope. Am I naïve in thinking this is a laborious, methodical but straightforward task to fix the slope? Once the old floor is up carefully measure, bring the joists up to level height and relay the floor, make necessary adjustments to skirting, door frames and doors?

Assuming no unexpected lurgies under the floor, any other pitfalls, things to watch out for? Any other DIYer’s out there done this and lived to tell?

Also what kind of timber should I use for fixing to joists?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
I'm not entirely sure from your post whether doing this will result in having 4" steps at the door thresholds but other wise find the highest point in the floor and transfer this datum point around the room then take the existing floor up and work out your firrings. Make these out of timber the same width as the existing, probably 2".
Your main pitfall is not falling through the ceiling once you've taken the floor up.

Any timber from your local timber merchant should be fine. But an Oak floor covering finish will be best to use.

Top floor flat ?? Then theres somebody else's ceiling below you, attached to your joists !! You can't bring them up without taking their ceiling down first...

Sponsored Links
I'm not entirely sure from your post whether doing this will result in having 4" steps at the door thresholds but other wise find the highest point in the floor and transfer this datum point around the room then take the existing floor up and work out your firrings. Make these out of timber the same width as the existing, probably 2".
Your main pitfall is not falling through the ceiling once you've taken the floor up.

How would you cut the taper in the furring strips?

If you are taking up the floor, have you considered additional sound proofing?

1. Level the joists with furring strips.
2. Lay 100mm of acoustic mineral wool on the downstairs ceiling.
3. Fit/glue resilient strips on top of the levelled joists.
4. 'Float' a new floor of cement filled particle board.
5. Fill the gap between floor and walls with a flexible sealant.

I am considering this for a renovation project and would appreciate feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back