Final Q's before i rip up my floor

Some of the joists are at an angle, so even though they are level, the level is of the top edge (ie not sat flush). do you advise planing 1mm off this edge to try and give the board more of a flush base...
If we get a badly twisted joist that's exactly what we do - and not always a couple of millimetres, either. The way to check is to place a straigjt edge (e.g 4ft level) across 3 or more contiguous joists. If the diffetence is a couple of millimetres i wouldn't bother planing it out in many cases

edit: just had a thought - would 18mm plywood be better for bathroom instead of 22mm chipboard? I will be putting a shower tray on a mortar bed.. cheers
Plywood is generally a bit more waterproof than chipboard, but even it won't stand being constantly waterlogged without either delaminating and/or rotting. If your chip ozrd is P5 then things are six of one and half a dozen if the other

Sponsored Links
If we get a badly twisted joist that's exactly what we do - and not always a couple of millimetres, either. The way to check is to place a straigjt edge (e.g 4ft level) across 3 or more contiguous joists. If the diffetence is a couple of millimetres i wouldn't bother planing it out in many cases

Plywood is generally a bit more waterproof than chipboard, but even it won't stand being constantly waterlogged without either delaminating and/or rotting. If your chip ozrd is P5 then things are six of one and half a dozen if the other

Cool, I'll go with chipboard then so that it's same height throughout. Would I need to put plywood on top of can I put a mortar bed straight onto chipboard for shower tray?

Nearly there now!

Thanks for your help with it.

Messed up on cuts around door frame (left too big gap at edge) but the skirting and door frames will cover it.

IMG-20200607-WA0017.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back