sagging old floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a 1901 old townhose , with 5" wide maple floorboards. the house is 25"wide and the floor is sagging in the middle . about 4" of slope! how do i maintain my old board , but level of the slope?

Sponsored Links
A 25 inch wide 'hose' is indeed a small hose! :) I'm no builder, but if you have a layout to enable a centre wall to be put in- with say an arch doorway. You could cross brace the two sides of the new walls strong enough to 'pull up' the floor with big coach bolts. Just a thought! (assuming a brick wall either side)

25 foot floor is a wide span :eek: how deep are your joists???and 4 inch of sag is one hell of a sag :cry: get some pro advice as , without seeing it , id say it was serious :confused:

Sponsored Links
A slope that big means something has gone seriously wrong. For example, an intermediate wall in the rooms below, that used to support the upper floor, has been removed, and no adequate support put in to replace it. Or maybe it was just badly built and has sagged with time.

If it is a ground floor that is sagging then perhaps the bearers have rotted or sunk into inadequate or absent foundations. A ground floor is perhaps easier to fix, though messy. someone will have to lift it and see what there is underneath that ought to be holding it up.

Is it a timber framed house? Do you think it is built on a concrete base, or does it have a basement or crawl space so you can see the underneatth of the sagging floor? Consider the risk that it might collapse and you and your belongings fall through.

i reckon you need a structural engineer, although a local builder familar with similar houses in the area may have seen it before and know what to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back