WETROOM FLOORS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help- i have a wooden tongue and groove floor. I have built a walk in shower surround and now need to tile the floor but obviously need to slope it so as to drain the water away.
how do i create the slope?
do i create the slope by applying differing amounts of tile adhesive? or by some sort of leveling compound?
the dimensions are 160cm long and 110 wide.

Sponsored Links
put a latt on the floor where you want your slope to start and board it downwards, then tile on top off the board,use waterproof board and paint it with gloss for extra protection

If you want to avoid a step at the door it is best to remove the T&G and fit something like Aquadec to the shower area, ply the rest of the floor and apply tanking membrain to the whole floor.

Here is a video of how to do it.

Don't expect gloss paint to keep the water in :LOL:

Jason

Jason
Thanks for this the vidoe is extremely helpful, however, problem is i have built the shower area and it is an odd shape so i dont think i can put any pre fab surface down.
Is there any other method?

Sponsored Links
The least height gain way will be to take up the T&G flooring, fix firrings to the tops of the joinsts (long tapered pieces of wood) to create the required falls to your outlet, cover with 25mm WBP ply with additional noggins where any board joints are not over joists, Apply tanking system to floor and turned 200mm up all walls and all the way up the walls within the wet shower area.

Jason

how much height gain do i need. if i put the drain in the middle it will only be 80cm to each end and i do have a 2" step at the door to the shower.
thanks for your advice- it really is helpful to talk this through

So its not a wetROOM just a walk in shower with tiled base rather than a tray.

In that case do as Bstyle said on SF forum 4 trianular pieces of 25mm WBP ply laid to falls.

You only need a small fall of say 10mm over 800mm so cut some strips of wood 10mm & 5mm thick, fit the 10mm ones around the perimeter of the shower area and the 5mm ones half way between edge & drain to stop the boards sagging. Screw the boards down through the timber strips into the T&G then tank the lot before tiling.

Jason

Or, sculpt the screed and lay Altro flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back