Sloping Garden / Excavated Garden Room

If the frame is designed to be used as a 'floor' then there'll be no problems getting it approved by building control and you not being sued when the next owner has a party on the roof and someone gets hurt.

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but if you have the space, I would consider a smaller retaining wall, part way down the slope - I believe that something up to 1.2m can be achieved with fairly limited engineering input. If you then left a small separation between the front of the wall and your new building for a suitable drainage system you could avoid any damp issues. Block and beam might be suitable for a roof/floor and could span the gap back to the original ground.
You need to be aware of any services - this sort of work often exposes gas, electric, water and drains. Sometimes you can work round them but otherwise they can be expensive to relocate.

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_211916695.jpg
    IMG_20221129_211916695.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 43
20k to dig a hole? Seriously??

I was gonna hire a digger and do it myself.

Why so expensive?

It’s a tad more than a hole :)

Well it’s quite close to your house, the S/E design costs won’t be dirt cheap, the retaining wall and it’s foundation will be quite costly, there is surface water drainage to deal with, grab lorry costs, it will need a decent size digger, you might need services relocating.

The building is best made in block work, I think. Roof probably needs to be block and beam / steelwork.

It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but if you have the space, I would consider a smaller retaining wall, part way down the slope - I believe that something up to 1.2m can be achieved with fairly limited engineering input. If you then left a small separation between the front of the wall and your new building for a suitable drainage system you could avoid any damp issues. Block and beam might be suitable for a roof/floor and could span the gap back to the original ground.
You need to be aware of any services - this sort of work often exposes gas, electric, water and drains. Sometimes you can work round them but otherwise they can be expensive to relocate.
Nice idea, so have a slope and a smaller retaining wall, and effectively just bridge over the gap to the roof.

Sponsored Links
1.2m wall with a large surcharge (sloped soil) may still need engineer input. The standard designs usually assume flat soil.

NHBC recommend SE design for over 600mm. LABC say over 1000mm.
Although a lot of people think a 9 inch brick wall is OK for a 3ft high retaining wall, as George says above sloping ground makes a big difference.
Here's one I looked at rebuilding.
IMG_20221123_162737.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back