Slot head screws.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any point to slot head screws, I find them a bugger to drive in with a power driver, even with the correct bit in the driver they always seem to slip out and gouge into the material I am driving into.
Cross head are so much better so why don't they just make them?

My girlfriend says crosshead screws are needed so she can unscrew them with a dinnerknife!!!

Glocko
:confused:

Sponsored Links
glocko said:
Cross head are so much better so why don't they just make them?
They are taking over rapadity because of cordless power tools.

And you should NOT use a slotted screw head with a power driven,too dangerous in my view.

The reason for slipping because of the wrong speed,the cordless drill spin faster than the screw you allow for.

Easier to get the paint out of to remove - in my opinion.

i can remember the origonal tv ad for posidriv screws, bloke was fitting door handle and........... "but not with new posidriv screws"

Sponsored Links
Slotted head screws are not really designed for use with a cordless drill / power screwdriver. The reason being it is very difficult to get the bit fully centred in the screw.

Slotted screws never pose a problem if you have a Brummie screwdriver (Known in other parts of the country as a hammer !!)

sloted screws went out years ago no point in using them now,every one uses philips heads,you can buy ones that will stip the head of your screwdriver,not the screw.

sloted screws went out years ago no point in using them now,.......

What twaddle. If you want brass or bronze screws they don't come in anything other than slotted head. If you're doing fine work where the screws will show, lined up slotted heads look much better than pozidriv or philips.

oilman said:
If you want brass or bronze screws they don't come in anything other than slotted head.
Agreed and I don't think you can get brass screw in pozidriv or philips because brass begin a softer material will be damaged by using a cordless tool

A little tip : When using a brass screw it's very important to use the correct size & width screwdriver to prevent damage to the slot.

and dont forget to either pre drill a pilot hole
or use a steel screw to make the hole first
cos brass is soft and will break

big all

big-all said:
and dont forget to either pre drill a pilot hole
or use a steel screw to make the hole first
cos brass is soft and will break

big all

Damn, beat me to it :LOL:

well eddie

you could have mentioned candle wax
to aid penetration ooo eerr misses ;)

big all

Slotted head are crap. Philips are better, but Robertson are the best.

Slotted head are rubbish........

Obviously someone who can't be bothered reading all the posts.

YOU CAN"T GET BRASS SCREWS IF THEY'RE NOT SLOTTED!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back