slow filling cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The toilet cistern has suddenly started to fill very slowly, it now takes ten minuets to fill! What can I do?

Sponsored Links
Probably, the washer in the float valve (although you haven't told us what kind you have) is bloated and sticking.

Isolate (i.e. turn off) the supply to the cistern; examine the washer; replace as necessary.

If that's a serious question, when you take the lid off the WC cistern, you will see a lot of water and two things. the one in the middle, to which the flushing handle is attached, is the syphon. The one at the side, through which the water comes, is a valve. And it is operated by a float that rises and causes the water to turn of when it's risen to the correct level.

If it wasn't a serious question, go boil your head.

Sponsored Links
Thats not very festive!

BUT...even my 94 year old great grandma knows what a float valve is. Someone who doesnt is in no way going to be able to isolate the water supply to it, let alone replace the washer.

And no, the washer is not the 'dish' type.

All right, I'll reword it.

If that's a serious question, call a plumber.

If it wasn't a serious question, go boil your head.

Thanks for your all help it's sorted now, without the expense of a new dishwasher! By the way John it was a serious question, I'm a maths teacher not a plumber, so I didn't boil my head! Merry christmas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back