Slow Streaming on Samsung A50

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I live in a rural location and have always had sketchy internet, as it comes to my house via 7 wifi links, with trees and other obstacles to limit the signal strength. I don't sleep too well and often listen to BBC radio, streamed live to my phone. For the last week or so this has not worked properly and I thought it was just the weak internet had got weaker. Now you get buffering for about 80% of the time, radio sound for 20%. My desktop PC is experiencing similar issues but not nearly as bad. I then wondered if the phone had a virus slowing it down. I did a factory reset and initially that seemed to have fixed the issue. I listened to 30 minutes of Radio 4 Extra with no buffering. That night I tried it again and it is back to how it was before the reset. I'm wondering if the virus could be in the sim cards?

Sponsored Links
I live in a rural location and have always had sketchy internet, as it comes to my house via 7 wifi links, with trees and other obstacles to limit the signal strength.
That is the most likely issue I would think.

Use something like Ookla Speedtest to see what pings and speeds you get at different times of day/night - ideally repeated in the exact same location for each time (so the transmit and receive antennas are in the same orientation(s) ).

Possibly local interference: other users of the frequencies in the area? trees are wet cf dry or moving in the wind causing problems?

Presumably this is a paid for wifi ISP service?
Consult that service provider?

The thing is I have literally got up in the night and set up the PC to stream the same radio programme and it works OK. At the time I also did a speed test but the phone one timed out without completing it. It had by then come up with a latency figure of 3828.5 ms. On the PC the same test gave a latency of 65 ms.

Seemingly random question!
Have you tried streaming with Bluetooth disabled?
My Samsung (different model A series) has an issue with Bluetooth interfering with WiFi connectivity.
It's probably not the issue, but it's simple to check!

Sponsored Links
Without a proper, detailed, description of the system (s) and how it is wired to the different items... frequencies involved, other wifi networks, etc.,. How many access points, mesh nodes (or not) etc.,. Where they are located, and so on....
We are flying blind.

IF all devices are connected wifi -- different receive antennas on the phone vs the PC wifi card.: will give different results even if the electronic receiver bit was identical (and it is likely they won't be).
Sound like the phone wifi receive is pretty deaf... was that test done adjacent to the PC or elsewhere in the dwelling?

Use one of the many wifi channel analyser programs/apps to see if there's a better clearer channel to use... If on 2.4 GHz try 5 GHz and vice versa. Sometimes devices hang on to a poorer signal rather swapping access points/frequencies?

Rebooting the ISP modem(s), router(s) and wifi access point(s) could all help to restore normal / a better operating state.

Back