Sludge and rusty water in central Heating system after 5 weeks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently had a new boiler and all radiators replaced about 5 weeks ago. The system was drained the other day to fit a valve and I noticed the water looks pretty bad.

I asked the heating engineer to flush the system before commissioning it as the old systems was massively inefficient.

I was really surprised to see loads of sludge in the magnaclean considering it's only been running a few weeks.

I'm slightly doubting if the heating engineer did anything at all to clean the system. What do you reckon? Based on the pictures do you think I need to get it done? I'm also slightly doubtful that any inhibitor was added to the system.

IMG_8340.jpg IMG_8342.jpg IMG_8343.jpg

Sponsored Links
The water in the bucket doesn’t look too bad to me. You’ll always get some dirty water out of the mag filter especially if it hasn’t been cleaned since being installed. If you’ve had it drained to replace a valve, any inhibitor will be lost so you will need to replace it anyway.

Thanks. Yes will be replacing the inhibitor. Do you reckon it would help to fill and drain the system a couple of times to get rid of some of the sludge/rust?

Sponsored Links
Well, I’m not a heating engineer but it wouldn’t hurt. It would also ensure that all traces of any previous inhibitor (if added) are flushed out in case it’s not compatible with whatever inhibitor you are going to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back