sludge and scale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So is this here chemical descaler and desludger for the central heating as good as they say? Am I right to be concerned at the thought of mobile particulate matter circulating around the heating system? Is there any potential to do more damage than good?

I am thinking of giving it a go as I need to drain down at some point to replace old leaky radiator valves anyway. Any opinions would be welcome.

many thanks
michael

Sponsored Links
I've just put in 3 bottles, can't remeber the product name, but its in a 500ml white bottle from B&Q. Daft idiot here forgot it was summer though so its sat in the combi not doing anything. (we have an all year round gas guzzling Aga for background heat and a multi point for hot water you see.)

Reason I put it in was because of the balck gunge that weeped out when you moved a rad etc, I belive its the water oxegenating or oxidising (did physics and maths not Chem or english;) at school so pls dont quote..) that causes it. I have also tried to re-plumb using plastic pipe instead as it doesn't creak when heating up, or need endless joints and should cut down on the gunge formation.

See this or here at www.fernox.com

No, you're better off protecting your system with the correct chemical protector as water without treatment will damaged your system in the long run !!

Most sludge removers are ok if you follow the instructions,they are basically detergents.No point in useing an inhibitor unless you have cleaned the system out first,when youb drain down make sure its from the lowest point or the sediment will be left,dont leave it in too long or just as a detergent it will break up.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, I am interested in cleaning/flushing my system. Where does one put it in?! I have a Sime combi boiler and about to replace the pump. Thanks for any help

Hi guys, I am interested in cleaning/flushing my system. Where does one put it in?! I have a Sime combi boiler and about to replace the pump. Thanks for any help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back