Sludged up boiler heat ex qustion .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would you say the best/easiest way is to fault find a sludged up heat exchanger that could be causing no/poor circulation and boiler overheat/lockout?

Sponsored Links
Harryfox121,

Need more info,

Make and model of boiler?

Which heat exchanger are you worried about,

What are the problems with the boiler. ie poor heating, Cold / warm, hot water.

Dave

I was just asking in general, about the main heat exchanger and causing the boiler when on, after afew minutes to overheat/lockout.

Sponsored Links
I know that, but also it could be down to a sludged up system, as newer boilers have smaller heat ex's and they can get blocked.

About the pump: do you mean the pump failing/slowing...

Harryfox121

There are lots of symptoms for a blocked heat exchanger, depending on which heat exchanger, primary or secondry,

For the primary it will make all sorts of banging noises a long time before it gets blocked, bleed a radiator is the water a black sludge or clear,

primary side of secondry heat exchanger, differance in temp between inlet and out let.

Secondry side of secondry H/E. no water at hot taps.

This is why it is difficult to give general information rather than faults on a certain make of boiler.

Dave

thanks dave18 for your help.

if the secondary heat ex was blocked - on the ch side (not cold going in - hot out) then i've heard the water will run hot then cold hot then cold like that and could even overheat lockout.

if the water slow from a combi was poor it could also be a blocked/part blocked filter/cartridge/poor flow rate.

Harryfox121.

This is where experience comes in rather than the book, as I said there are so many things that can go wrong with a combi you have to have a methodical system to carry out fault finding.

Dave.

imagesA.jpg

Harryfox121,

Need to know who is asking before I answer or if I answer that question

Dave

dave18 - what do you mean? I am just interested in learning about boiler's/fault finding. I appreciate your help btw.

I know a bit about boilers and fault finding but not the methodical system/way. I'd like to learn though.

Harryfox121,

To answer that question

If you are not Gassafe registered your fingers should only be touching the user controls or cleaning the boiler casing. Even if its your own boiler Thats the best advice I can give you.

I do not mind giving general information to help people out, but I do draw a line at detailed information on an open forum.

Dave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back