Sludged up heat exchanger - replace or flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a maintenance engineer call out for my boiler which was kettling, banging and venting when running hot water.

The issue was sludge and magnetite in the hot water heat exchanger. (I have a magnaclean but this was only fitted three years ago and the system is very old with a Worcester combi boiler fitted about 13 years ago.)

Anyway, the engineer gave the plate heat exchanger a thorough flush out using a chemical cleaner and a hose on the back garden and it's all working fine again now.

However he recommended getting it replaced ASAP and it's this point I'm wanting advice on. Should I spend the money now and get it replaced (I can afford it but like anyone prefer not to spend un-necessarily) or will it last a few more years having been flushed?

I realise this is a "how long is a piece of string" type question, so just looking for opinions based on experience.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I normally clean them for customers.

Using the right chemicals and procedures I can see no point in replacing them.

Of course it takes me a little longer but its done on the spot without wasting time returning with parts.

Tony

If it's stainless steel it doesn't need to be replaced,just clean.I have never replaced a steel heat exchanger,good liquid or powder does the job,I find if on immersion rig main heat exchanger or blow torch to heat chemicals on a plate hex is good enough.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far, all. Any other views appreciated.

How do I know if the heat exchanger is stainless steel? It's a Worcester 35CDi mark 2 if that helps.

The engineer that came out flushed the old one with cold water using a hose, then a couple of fills of X800 and boiling water left for 5-10 mins before flushing it out again with the hose. Is this likely to be sufficient?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back