Small Amount of Mud in Water - no help from British Gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was hoping that someone maybe able to help me.

Recently when running the cold bath tap fully in the bathroom, I've noticed some brown grit at the bottom of the bath.

We called Severn Trent out, who did some analysis and confirmed traces of a mud-type material and sand in the bath water but the mains sample was clear.

This weekend, my fiancee and I turned the water off at the mains and ran the cold water taps to see which which were mains fed and whether any were indirectly fed by the cold water storage tank. All were mains fed.

Rather worryingly, when we ran both the bathroom cold taps and the kitchen cold tap at the same time, we found the dirt was coming through the kitchen tap too.

British Gas (Dynarod) have called out twice but, quite frankly, were as useful as a chocolate tea-pot and seemed reluctant to investigate further - we've now got them coming back tomorrow having established its not an issue with the mains.

I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest what might be causing it, what the solutions are and what we could say to British Gas to ensure we get the problem sorted.

Thank you in advance.

Mr Croft

Sponsored Links
Are you on a water meter ? If not then leave your tap running until its clear

Who's word do you have the mains sample was clear? Severn Trent's who supply it. :eek:

I'm not quite sure what you expect British Gas to do, if its a problem with the mains water then there's only a limited amount of pipework that is your responsibility, where a problem could lie, unless your in the middle of nowhere on a private supply running miles across fields to get to you. I'd run a few bucketfuls of water off, and if still a problem demand Severn Trent provide answers.

Sponsored Links
So you got the supplier out who said there was no problem with the supply, but they did find trace mud in the sample? Doesn't that sort of contradict itself?

You determined that all the cold water outlets were mains fed, so the problem is most likely to do with the mains.

You determined that they were still producing mud,

If BG have some sort of contract with you to check the supply pipework from where it connects to Severn Trent's main, then I would be getting them round to check that.

As I recall, their [BG] responsibility starts after the stop cock. Suppliers problem.

We called Severn Trent out, who did some analysis and confirmed traces of a mud-type material and sand in the bath water but the mains sample was clear.

Mr Croft

From where did they draw the "mains sample"

It really does help in these situations if the home owner takes the trouble to find out how his system works and which taps are mains fed.

Of course many owners don't have the knowledge but surely its pretty simple to ask the engineer who services the boiler annually?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back