Small Bedroom Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I have a 1900 Victorian property that i am in the process of fixing up. I have already opened up a fireplace in the living room but now looking to open up an existing fire place in the small rear bedroom.

The fireplace is only 250mm deep and 530mm wide therefore I'm not to sure if I need to install a lintel. Its to small to have ever really had an arch therefore wasn't expecting to find one.

There is no supporting brickwork underneath therefore i assume that the chimney stack is supported by the floor joists.

Any advice or experience would be much appreciated.

20160725_215513.jpg

Sponsored Links
This looks like a single flue c/breast from a kitchen fire or boiler.
There would have been no original fire opening in the c/breast, it was just passing through the bedroom on its way to the stack.
What do you propose to do with it when its opened up?
Does it go up through the loft to a stack on the roof?
Can you lift a board and look "under" the c/breast?

Thanks for the reply. It is a single flew and it goes straight up into the loft up through roof. There isn't anything below the chimney stack. The door to to rear garden is directly below. The photo below shows it with the hearth. I think the bricks within the red line are new therefore assume it was originally open?

20160726_07255sds6.jpg

The new, clearer photo tells a different story.
Yes, the outline of the old opening can be seen, the opening was "arched " by a mixture of corbelled bricks and a key stone just above your outline.
And a solid hearth.

But how far do you want to open it up (the red outline?), and what do you intend to do with it?

Whatever, it must be swept and smoke tested.

Sponsored Links
Just going to open it up to the red line and build in some shelving. The room is quite small so thought I would turn it into some storage space short of going and removing the chimney.

Am i right in thinking that it would be safe to remove the new bricks without installing a new lintel or any additional support. The old brick work seems pretty solid therefore assume its safe?

Thanks

As its really narrow the worst that could happen if you removed the bricks would be that one or two above the opening would become loose. I'd be temped to pop a small lintel in higher up and make more storage out of it, 7 foot of horizontal shelves spaced a foot apart would be useful and could look good.

Having said that, my preference would be to find a reclaimed small bedroom fire and fit it.

The new, clearer photo tells a different story.
Yes, the outline of the old opening can be seen, the opening was "arched " by a mixture of corbelled bricks and a key stone just above your outline..
It looks like a Welsh Arch, although it is quite a rough version. They look good if done properly, although you don't often see them.

Its safe. If any brick is a bit loose just point it back in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back