Small Garden Retainer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to tackle small retaining wall approx 400mm h x 250-300mm w x 8m long. It includes a curve at one end(bend radius 1.5m) and a small L shape at the other end.

I have dug a foundation trench about 300mm deep, 450mm wide and semi filled with old bricks as bulk.

The purpose of the wall is to retain soil from a patio and also act as a bench around the patio. I have opted to build the wall in concrete block or brick and finish with painted render and 300mm wide patio slabs as coping. I do have access to a pile of 1950's house bricks which seem fairly heavy/dense.

I also intend to use some conduit as drainage in 1m intervals.

As a complete novice and youngster I obviously have a few questions I can not answer!

1. Is it recommended/ok to bulk out foundation using old house bricks?
2. Can I use the same house bricks to build the wall?? if so, how do I arrange them? Do I need a cavity?
3. How should I insert the conduit for drainage?
4. Can I render the soil side of the wall or will it be too damp?

Any help would be much appreciated. :D I can take pics if needs be.

Regards,

Alex

Sponsored Links
[quote="bluegolfmonkey"
1. Is it recommended/ok to bulk out foundation using old house bricks?

no.

2. Can I use the same house bricks to build the wall?? if so, how do I arrange them? Do I need a cavity?

it will depend on the type of brick. if they are of engineering standard, then yes, if they are say londons then i wouldn't advise it. they need to be laid solid twin skin no cavity with maybe a header course midway.

3. How should I insert the conduit for drainage?

we use cut off pieces of 63mm square gutter down pipe as it sits nicely in a standard metric course and is large enough not to clog up easily.

4. Can I render the soil side of the wall or will it be too damp?

yes you can.

Any help would be much appreciated. :D I can take pics if needs be.

Regards,

Alex[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

My foundations are all set so onto the wall!

Why do you say no cavity?

Its just my coping is 300mm wide, so ideally the wall without the render needs to be about 260mm wide leaving 10 mm render and 10 mm lip either side. Therefore a cavity of about 45-50mm.

Also, I have 2 types of brick. A solid dense external wall brick and a lighter frogged internal brick. Which should I use on the skin against the soil?

Thanks in anticipation,

Alex

Sponsored Links
Do people actually use this product?? ...... pebles in prison!

To me, this solution looks highly impractical, ugly and not to mention dangerous! :(

Thanks for the post but I think I am going to stick with a nice solid rendered wall this time round.
:D

Alex

PS Do you work for Metpost by anychance? (LOL) :LOL:

[quote="bluegolfmonkey"
Why do you say no cavity?

Its just my coping is 300mm wide, so ideally the wall without the render needs to be about 260mm wide leaving 10 mm render and 10 mm lip either side. Therefore a cavity of about 45-50mm.

we as builders don't generally build a wall to suit a coping, it's usually the other way round! a cavity in a garden retaining wall is a non-essential weak point and would be better off without it.

Also, I have 2 types of brick. A solid dense external wall brick and a lighter frogged internal brick. Which should I use on the skin against the soil?

use the solid dense on the outside and the softer one inside.

Thanks in anticipation,

Alex[/quote]

bluegolfmonkey said:
Do people actually use this product?? ...... pebles in prison!

To me, this solution looks highly impractical, ugly and not to mention dangerous! :(

Thanks for the post but I think I am going to stick with a nice solid rendered wall this time round.
:D

Alex

PS Do you work for Metpost by anychance? (LOL) :LOL:

Nope never used it. Apparently it weathers in time to make it easier on the eye. Can't see it as being dangerous though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back