Small kitchen extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a terraced house from 1904, which already has a two storey extension at the back (kitchen downstairs and bathroom upstairs). The extension projects approx 2.5m outwards and runs approx 3/5 of the width of the property (approx 3 meters). There is currently a lean-to on the ground floor which takes up the remaining 2/5th of the width of the house (approx 2m) and also projects to be flush with the extension.

I'd like to knock the lean-to down and extend the kitchen to the entire width of the house. In reality this will be an extension of approx 2m x 2.5m.

My question is, what is the process I go through to get the proverbial ball rolling?

Do I need planning permission? Do I need to get accurate drawings? If I outlined to a local builder what I envisage, would I be able to get accurate quotes?

Any help or advice much appreciated?

Sponsored Links
I do not believe you would need Planning Permission although a single storey extension being built next to a two storey extension is not described within the Permitted Development legislation. You can build a single storey extension the full width of your house without Planning Permission but you already have a two storey extension out there so not quite sure if that's an issue. Probably not but may just be prudent to run it past your local Planning Department.

Many builders will provide you with a quote and will be happily not need any drawings to proceed. Whether they are accurate quotes, fixed fees or allow for any extra's depends on their appointment and the quality of their work. You also don't need any drawings for Building Control Approval although you need to make sure your builder knows it is his responsibility to comply with Building Regulations. Again it really comes down to your builder knowing his stuff and having the knowledge.

Choice of builder if no drawings are to be provided is doubly paramount! That's not to say that having drawings is in any way a guarantee of a better or less stressful job either.

Really though on ickle jobs like this (well all jobs really) when alls said and done the finished standard of work / achieving satisfaction comes down to having a good builder.

Choose a builder this way //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1599295#1599295

Cheers FM's twin - that's certainly helpful and much appreciated.

If anyone would like to hazzard a guess at how much this would cost, including stripping out the current kitchen and installing a fully fitted new kitchen, that would be interesting?

I'm in Exeter, Devon.

Cheers

Probably about £10K depends greatly on the size/standard of kitchen you want to end up with though. Also condition of walls after existing kitchen's been ripped out etc. Assume your extension will be around £6K and add the kitchen on to that.

Sponsored Links
Hi just wondering if you managed to get this done get quotes ? im currently in same position as you have lean too i want to knock down an extend kitchen from 2 storey extension we live in a terraced too many thanx and good luck on your house =)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back