Small leak from radiator pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very small leak from one of my radiator pipes.
It might have been leaking for a while as I can see what looks like green on one end of the joint.
It's dripping only and about once every 2 minutes when heating is on, and seems to be slowing now I've turned the heating off.
I may have knocked the pipe a while back but as it's out of site in the kitchen and not enough water comes out to be noticed I didn't spot the dripping until up close to it.

Should I risk trying to tighten or could I risk making it worse.
What way is the nut on the right tighten? (the leaking one in photo, top right!)

Note. I can't see a cut off valve to the right of this valve when tracing the pipe back up stairs and then disappears under the floor!

Thanx for any advice.
View media item 59539

Sponsored Links
If it's leaking from the compression nut, get something to grip the body of the valve to stop it rotating (large pump pliers/mole grips, etc), and try tightening the nut a little. If it's top right nut, turn it clockwise looking onto the right hand end of the fitting/nut.

I would be looking to lose those isolating valves anyway. They aren't really for ch systems, as they can restrict flow and often leak from the screw in middle. If you need valves there, change to full bore lever valves.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...+Lever+Ball+Valve+PN25+15mm/d20/sd2696/p64716

Thanx for the advice Whitespirit66

I'll give that a go in the morning and hopefully that will sort it.
It's still dripping when cold but less than it was when heating was on.
I've got 2 of that type of valve so I'll look at getting them changed out during summer if we get one! So they just might be the reason that 2 of my rads take longer to heat up!
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If it's leaking from the compression nut, get something to grip the body of the valve to stop it rotating (large pump pliers/mole grips, etc), and try tightening the nut a little. If it's top right nut, turn it clockwise looking onto the right hand end of the fitting/nut.

I would be looking to lose those isolating valves anyway. They aren't really for ch systems, as they can restrict flow and often leak from the screw in middle. If you need valves there, change to full bore lever valves.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...all+Valve+PN25+15mm/d20/sd2696/p64716[/QUOTE]
Follow-up!
Thanx Whitespirit66
Leak stopped.
Appreciate the advice :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back