Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a radiator in one room that is cold while the others work. I did what it said here and tapped it with a spanner and it instantly started leaking out from the nut that joins the radiator to the pipe work and valve. Turn the valve off the it kept on leaking so I took the offending spanner and tightened the nut and leak stopped but rad still cold.
Any help would be grand as my house is cold at the best of times but right now it freezing.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Give us some info Nook...combi boiler or vented type?
Have you bled the offending rad to get any air out?
Are both of the rad valves fully on?
If you have a flow and expansion tank in your loft, is there water in it?
John :)

Hey John,
Its a combi boiler.
First thing i tried was bleeding it, water came out straight away.
Both valves were on till it started leaking then turn both off but water continued leaking.
The inflow pipe under the valve was hot but rad cold.
Don't have any tank in the loft as spent a while insulating it in autum to try and not freeze this winter so am familar with stuff up there.
Should i get a really big hammer and hit it? Problem solving device number 3 praps?
Thanks John for your response.

Can you turn off all the other radiators, then see if the offending rad gets hot? The hammer option, whilst making you feel better, is unlikely to get much heat into the rad. If its a thermostatic rad valve, is the pin free?

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you all. Got a bit held up by other problems but turned off all other rads and the offending one came hot, turned others back on and it stayed hot. So thanks to those who gave advice you've made my house a little warmer.
Cheers all. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back