What size of spanner do I need to fix this leaking radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a leaking radiator nut. Can someone please tell me the correct size of spanner I need to tighten up the nut? (I am sure "nut" is not the correct term!)

The attached image shows the nut and you can see the drop of water on its underside.

I have a set of spanners with number on them up to 17. However, 17 is too small to fit around the nut.

Alternatively, should I be mending it in another way?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Radiator.jpg
    Radiator.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1,611
Sponsored Links
Assuming it is the hexagonal nut with the drop of water on it, then 1/2" BSP (or BSW). They are an imperial size, not metric. Best bet is a decent medium sized adjustable spanner (e.g. Bahco). You'll need another spanner or grips to hold the body of the valve while you tighten up the nut.

There is a chance the leak is from the tail where it goes into the radiator. That's a different issue, and a bigger problem. You'd have to shut off both valves, empty radiator, remove the valve in the photograph from its tail, remove the tail, clean the tail and the female thread in the radiator, re-wrap the tail with 15 (or thereabouts) wraps of PTFE and screw it back into the radiator, tight. Then valve back on, open the other end valve to the same point from which you shut it off . Open valve and check for leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back