What size are the NUTS on Grundfos 15-50 pumps ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Ive just fitted a new 15-50 , ( swapped motors actually ) and I had major problems trying to loosen the nuts on the grundfos pump

( The nuts are from the Isolators fitted on each side )

my query is;

can someone tell me what the correct spanner size required is ?

I tried an adjustable spanner, < > 40mm but it wasnt large enough

I used grippers in the end, but I hate using them as easy to start rounding off the nuts

I would like to know the correct size, so I can order the correct fixed size spanner

thanks

Teddy

ps: using a micrometer as best I could, the size seems to be around 50mm, but this isnt an exact measurement as meter guides not long enough to reach nut faces correctly

Sponsored Links
use water pump pliers or footprints.

they can still be a nightmare and need heated with a blow torch

if ball-o-fix type,bite the bullit and renew,be warned as gate valve type are slightly larger

I did use that type of plier in the end, but Im suprised that people arent using the correct sized spanner ?

this would mean no slipping and no damaging to nuts...

i used a blowtorch and still couldnt undo one side, hence I merely was able to rotate the pump enough to get to the motor bolts

and swap motor over, that was pretty ok , 99% of the job was to undo the pesky ISO nuts

and that was only a 50% success rate !

Sponsored Links
you can get a pump nut spanner. I'm not 100% of size, maybe I'll measure it...I think its about 52mm..They're hard to come by, I've had mine for years. Its much better with a spanner, as, a) it doesn't slip and b) it doesn't exert pressure on the thread. If you use grips/footprints you squash the nut onto the thread thus half the battle is against yourself.

400mm :eek:

not much use in a lot of circumstances, pumps tend to be rammed into tight spaces.

ive never liked footprints, the jaws are too short to be of any use at that size of nut. a decent set of pump pliers does the job unless the nut is rusted onto the pump body. if thats the case either bung it and change the lot or cut the pump nuts with a hacksaw if you want to keep the valves.

where the heck can you buy the ISO valves from ?

none at screwfix, none on fleabay

please dont tell me that they are only available as part of a pump package, as i bought a bare pump only

!!

Teddy

hmmm, just had a thought,

the ISO valves use an olive ring on the 22mm connection

so I cant just fit the new ISOs onto the existing 22mm side, as that olive has already been compressed and cant be re-used ?

this would mean cutting pipe and soldering in a new piece ?

Teddy

Course it can, a bit of ptfe or a sliver of jet blue and your away.

Away the lads!! :D

You need a Kliburn Adjustible wrench looks like a stillson but has spanner jaw, this will not crush or wring the nuts, however if they wont budge, I just cut the nut off the pump, and fit new nuts to the existing valve once the pump is out ;)

pump nut spanner is made by MONUMENT and is available at any decent plumbers merchants and if they are too much of pain just cut em off and replace them unless you have loads of times to faff around

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back