Small Porch Roof - How To Join To House?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just finished the blockwork to a small (2m x 3 enclosed porch built off the front wall of the house and I'm now starting to cut the rafters for the pitched roof. I have a couple of questions before I crack on:

Is it ok to fix the first rafters to the house wall, or do they need spacing away?

Does the ridge beam need to sit inside the wall, or is it ok to butt up against the wall?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Paul.

Sponsored Links
If you are plasterboarding the underside, then a 25mm gap between rafter and wall would help the fixing of the boards. Probably the same for the tile laths to the minimise risk of end spliting. Othewise its not a big deal.

If you do leave a a gap, make sure to pack the rafter at mid span to prevent any twisting.

If this is a ridge beam, as apposed to a ridge board, then yes it needs to sit in the wall.

If a ridge board, it would certainly be good practice and would help a lot with the roof framing and bracing if it was in the wall too. But it would not stictly need to be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back