Small problem with a large shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate some advice to help navigate out of a small problem. Putting up a shed 7.2m x 6.5m
Laid the concrete base and had set threaded rods to attached the base board - Not sure of the exact terminology (Wall pate ? Sole Plate?)

So far so good. The trouble was it was just me an the drive pouring 5m3 of concrete and I did not make a good job of finishing the edges

The shed is going up now but I notice that in places the frame wobbles and it's clear that there are gaps and uneven bits under the base plate. In other places where the concrete is flat, the frame is pretty rigid.

I guess the whole frame with stiffen up when the trusses go on, but I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best was of filling the gaps and stabilising the base plate. I have experimented with some small wooden wedges and these seem to be ok, but wondering if plastic packers might be better of indeed "Bodge foam" ? Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers Rob

IF i was doing it again I'd lay the boards onto the anchor points while the concrete was still wet, but hey... hindsight is brilliant!

shed frame.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hardwood wedges and mortar should do the job. Hope you remembered to put in a DPM between the timber and the concrete

how long ago did you pour the concrete?

I would tend to put pads of fine concrete or mortar at the points where the bearers will sit. This will also raise them a little above the raft so preventing rainwater from pooling near the timber and allowing air circulation.

If necessary you can jack up the base frame first and lower it onto the mortar while fresh, using packers to prevent it sinking too far.

and yes, you will need DPC

Sponsored Links
Thanks - Base was poured about 3 weeks ago. Yes I laid DPM between timber and concrete and a DPM under the concrete. Thanks for the suggestions, oddly enough I woke up last night thinking I should pack he uneven bits with mortar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back