Laying concrete base for small shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to conrete work so would like some advice. I need to lay a concrete base for a 1.81m x 0.78m 'shed'.

I'm happy with building the frame to poor the concrete into but have no idea what if any base layer I should put in and how much ready mix concrete I need. Also if I need to mix anything in with the concrete? And how deep it all needs to be?

There won't we anything heavy in the shed

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
Rory

Sponsored Links
The gap has a slope and I cant use paving slabs to get a level surface, open to other suggestions

the concrete should be 100mm thick and under it you should remove any soft areas and then lay 75mm of compacted MOT type 1

It's a bit overkill for a shed though.

Sponsored Links
couldn't you dig out the soil so that it's level?

providing you have firmish soil, once the soil is roughly level you can then lay a dry mix of sharp sand and concrete in a ratio of about 6:1 and to a depth of 50-75 mm, level it off, lay the slabs (making sure they're level, obviously) with a gap of about 1 cm between them, fill the gaps with dry mix and job's done. moisture in the ground will make the dry mix go solid in a few days (I didn't believe this before I did it, but it's true). at least, this is how I did the base for my shed, which was quite a bit larger than yours and I haven't had any problems with it.

of course, my reply assumes you are doing the base on soil, but now I have read your original post more carefully, maybe you aren't and are planning something to go on an existing hard surface of some kind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back