Small rust hole in boiler air box casing - is it a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a bit of water dripping from the bottom of my Baxi Barcelona. I took off the outer casing and removed the outer cover of the air box, this exposes the fan and condensate trap chamber.

The water is dripping from the side manifold seal down the o/s of the heat exchanger and has pooled in the middle of the air box base. It has obviously been doing this for quite a while and had made a small rust hole in the galvanised steel, through which it was dripping.

My question is, ignoring the fact that most people despise Baxi Barclona's, should I be looking to get someone to replace the seal or will the hole in the air box render the boiler unsafe? I don't know if it s relevant but the boiler is in a garage , not a inhabited room.

Sponsored Links
It's designed as a room sealed appliance. It is no longer a room sealed appliance due to having a hole in the casing. I suspect you know what the answer will be, but I will let the RGI's tell you. This is what is eventually going to kill my Vaillant.

you are just asking for confirmation of what you already know, it is a gonner turn it off , it doesnt matter if it is in a garage or not it is classified as ID and should not be used, its time to replace the pile of junk

ianmcd & mogget, thanks for your replies.

its time to replace the pile of junk
Actually for the last 7 years its been trouble free. Prior to that it was problematic but by the time it was 5 years old it had most of the original parts replaced :)

Anyway the hole is very small - less than 2mm dia. - Can one seal the hole with a steel plate screwed to the existing box, and get a Gase Safe engineer to test it for air tightness or would they not even go there?

Sponsored Links
NO that is an AD Hoc repair (and a very stupid one at that) you have to replace the boiler

NO that is an AD Hoc repair (and a very stupid one at that) you have to replace the boiler
Ad hoc agreed, but why is it stupid ? The front panel of the air box is a large plate over a large hole with a heat resistant sealing strip round it, and held on with four Dzus fasteners.

You may not like the idea of repairing the boiler, and I could well imagine it is not allowed, but from a technical perspective I think calling it 'very stupid' is just a sign of ignorance.

It soesen't seem stupid until some RGI lacerates their hands fixing a boiler that has a load of sharp self tapping screws in an unexpected place.

EDIT: bad English corrected.

So you're making an assumption about how the plate would be fitted.

Whatever you or others think of the Baxi Barcelona, it is still a very efficient boiler and I would not want to just throw it away because of a 2mm rust hole that could be effectively sealed.

The question I'm trying to get answered is whether a technically sound and well implemented ad hoc repair is ever permitted provided it is tested by an RGI. Your point ianmcd about sharp screws is a valid one, but let's assume, now that you've pointed it out, the solution didn't leave sharp screws exposed.

Read your own post , I never said anything about sharp or exposed screws and as for any Ad Hoc repair , no RGI can pass off your attempt at repairing anything only a manufacturer can supply you in writing how to repair a gas appliance, but you will just do it anyway so just go ahead, you came on here asking for technical advice and you have been supplied with the correct advice, just because it does not agree with what you want to hear does not mean that it is wrong, the advice you have received is to protect you your family and neighbours from the dangers of messing around with gas appliances when legally and morally you should stay well clear

Read your own post , I never said anything about sharp or exposed screws

Apologies, it was mogget who wrote "It soesen't seem stupid until some RGI lacerates their hands fixing a boiler that has a load of sharp self tapping screws in an unexpected place."

But I think you have now answered my question, and I appreciate that it is a well formed argument "no RGI can pass off your attempt at repairing anything only a manufacturer can supply you in writing how to repair a gas appliance"

Why you think I will ignore your answer I have no idea. If I wasn't interested in my safety and that of my family's I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

Infact, I could quite happily and legally I believe, drain down the heat exchanger, change the manifold seal which is on the o/s of the combustion box (no touching gas parts) and ignore the hole in the air box.

But I won't

I bet the new manifold seal doesnt fix it :D

New heat exchanger time normally on these. That and the hole will render it scrap for most.

Technically it could be patched up but you would be modifying a gas appliance which isnt allowed. I cant see any RGI repairing the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back