Condemned Boiler Procedure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, Just after a bit of info.

I have (had) a Potterton 40 boiler which was covered by british Gas Homecare. It was serviced last week for it annual check up where it was condemned due to a hole in outer case (one of the pipes into it had been dripping on to it and it had rusted the case).

Anyway my question is what should the gas man have done? With mine he capped the gas (fair enough), removed all the wiring putting them into a box (why?) and also removed the fuse from the isolator switch. Is this normal? when I had it replaced the wiring became a mare and needed an electrician which would not have been necessary if the pattern of wiring could have been seen in the one which was condemned (I had a newer version put in so like for like). Does anyone know if this was all necessary?

Also does anyone know if this corrosion should have been spotted maybe a few years ago when they have service it every year for the last 4, would I have any comeback on them as they should have seen it before it happened and cost me £1500 for a replacement.

Sorry to waffle on but any advice would be great.

Ta

Sponsored Links
You have the boiler serviced, not the pipes to and from it.

It takes vary little time for water to corode a boilers case. There is a good chance it wasnt leaking last year.

But, as for the wiring - a bit belt and braces IMHO.

Paul.

sounds like the the engineer in question did a competent job in making your appliance safe for you should be grateful ffs :evil:

Paul - thanks for your advice.

Gaspro - I was after advice not abuse FFS. There is making a boiler safe which I have no problem, or going over the top which is unnecessary. Go be nasty somewhere else.

Sponsored Links
to re-commission your boiler or install a new one will require an electrician/competent person therefore the guy hasn't done anything outrageously wrong. All said and done he has carried out his duties with the safety of you and your family as his primary interest.

thanks heating man, I just wasnt sure if there was a set procedure to follow as to what should be done when condemning a boiler or if it was just left to the engineer themselves. The man who fitted the new one said he hadnt seen it being done that way before thats why I was asking.

I don't have any problem with the fact he condemed it as if I did i would not have it serviced every year to make sure it is ok. It was only the length he went to disconnect it :D

LOL! Yes the wiring to the boiler, he didnt remove all the wiring.

Perhaps he got the vibe that there might be a chance that the boiler might be recommissioned after he left. Made sure it wouldnt be :D

And this confused your installer.......Strange,,,, why anyone would need a spark to wire up a boiler,

As you can probably tell from my questions there was no way in heaven that there was any chance I was going to get a boiler working. Change a plug at a push but a boiler.... :LOL:

The procedure for ID, which is what your boiler was classified as, is to disconnect the gas supply. Although he didn't have to discon. the wiring, the engineer may have felt someone might try reconnecting it and so made sure.

No its not .... Its disconnect with customers permission other than that he would contact service provider to cut off meter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back