Condemned Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a house 18 months ago with a 19 year old back boiler. The couple said it had been serviced recently and was in a good working condition. We thought it would be wise to have it serviced recently due to its age and contacted British Gas. They came round this morning and condemned the boiler due to several problems including inadequate ventilation, carbon monoxide... told us it is illegal to use and placed a big yellow warning sticker on it. He told us that they had been round 2 years ago and had told the previous couple the same thing and placed the same sticker on it then too. If it was condemned and it was illegal to use should the couple have removed the sticker and sold us a house with a boiler they knew was unfit for use? Should we get a second opinion? Cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
I think I would get a second opinon from a reputable local Corgi Engineer, as BG could be trying to rip you off !

I think I would get a second opinon from a reputable local Corgi Engineer, as BG could be trying to rip you off !

Definitely! the number of boilers I have been to that BG have condemned for silly faults that are easily rectified are unbelievable. It's only to be expected when they are on commission.

Sponsored Links
The BG probably is telling the truth that the boiler needs purpose provided ventilation. Very good chance the boiler needs to be serviced.

Get a registered gas installer to service your boiler. Basic boiler that was made to last the proverbial 100 years. Might cost a little more for fuel, but repair costs are minuscule compared to modern steamers (if you can get someone who knows how they work, hence are able to repair them)

The couple said it had been serviced recently and was in a good working condition.

Sounds like they were lying then dosn't it. I'm pretty sure its illegal to mislead a house purchaser like this. May be worth talking to your solicitor that handled the purchase and you may get any repairs/replacement paid for :?:

Then you should be seeking trading standards not another corgi. Yellow label is 'at risk', the letter you should have been left explains the reasons why and the solutions.

hes proberbly at risked it, as ventilation wasnt much of a major problem back in the days. but as time goes on its now a law to at risk the appliance if ventilation isnt up to scratch. the BG engineer is covering his ass, just as i would.at least he didnt cut your supply off as if it was an ID.

Definitely! the number of boilers I have been to that BG have condemned for silly faults that are easily rectified are unbelievable

I can believe that.

It's only to be expected when they are on commission.

You made that bit up though :rolleyes:

There has been a change in the way that a CORGI responds to inadequate ventilation for that kind of boiler.

It was probably just OK until the last time they inspected it. It probably just needs a 50 cm² vent to the outside.

However the vendors have been fraudulent. But they probably told you all the nonsence verbally and I expect you will see nothing in the written papers although perhaps if the enquiry before contract says that its in good working order and regularly serviced then you might have a valid claim. The enquiries before contract largely become irrelevant when the property is transferred though.

That kind of fraud makes me think that they should be paying £3000 towards a new boiler!

Tony

I love that everyone jumped to accuse BG straight away! :rolleyes:

The engineer has acted correctly in issuing an AR notice for the appliance if ventilation is inadequate. Maybe hasnt explained it to OP very well or OP hasnt fully understood.

Have ventilation upgraded and boiler stripped down fully and serviced annualy and it will give years of service yet. I never advise a customer to get shot of a back boiler if they are happy with it.

If I encountered that situation I would explain the problem and give a quote for upgrading the ventilation.

I have never heard of BG even giving a quote, let alone upgrading ventilation. Its always new boiler time!

Of course in technical terms the efficiency of old BBUs is so low that a new boiler makes sense but I believe the owner needs to be presented with all the possibilities.

I often wonder how much influence the BG £30 new boiler introduction fee has on whats said.

Tony

I have never heard of BG even giving a quote, let alone upgrading ventilation. Its always new boiler time!

utter bullshit as usual from our resident expert on nothing. BG were upgrading the ventilation for free for a short time, was your band of misfits doing that for your customers? facts here are this boiler has been seen twice by BG and twice left with the correct paperwork and label.

Of course in technical terms the efficiency of old BBUs is so low that a new boiler makes sense but I believe the owner needs to be presented with all the possibilities.

pray tell then oh wise one what these possibilities are? i think there are two possibilities.

1)the ventilation is upgraded and any other issues fixed either for free or on a chargeable basis as necessary.

2)the customer is asked whether they are interested in getting rid of an antique, albeit a reliable antique. if they accept, happy days for all. if they refuse the engineer goes on his merry way and the customer sits back to read the paper having made his/her own decision. is there a problem with this?

I often wonder how much influence the BG £30 new boiler introduction fee has on whats said.

£30? whats that for then? wait! do you mean the £10 voucher the engineer is paid for every lead? not sale, lead.

are you deliberately misguiding this forum again tony or have you simply got it wrong again? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back