Condemned Boiler - is this right ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a Potterton Prima 80F Boiler. Approx 10 years old
It works fine as far as i can tell.

Yesterday i tried to join british gas monthly contract agreement for central heating

They condemned my boiler and sealed it off !!!!!!!!!!

The reason was for a hole in the outer cabinet of the boiler where one of the water pipes goes into boiler - stating danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. It has corroded ove the years.

This seems strange as i cannot see where gas can escape as it is inside a cast iron casting.

Can anyone help - what can i do apart from buy a new boiler as advised by British Gas /???? Does this seem right ??? :cry:

Sponsored Links
The engineer was probably right to do this. Although under normal circumstances a hole in the outer casing would merely result in air being sucked in by the fan, it is conceivable that Carbon Monoxide laden fumes might escape into the room.

You might be able to replace just the outer cover. But if not, don't feel pressured into getting a new boiler from BG, you'd do much better elsewhere.

I reckon you could get a new outer case - or a secondhand one - fairly easily.

Sponsored Links
boiler off the wall though isn't it....probably makes it less than viable.

"where one of the water pipes goes into boiler "
True. Missed that bit.

Corrosion of the outer cas would normally only occur if there has been long term water leakage or possibly condensation from using the boiler for too short a period.

I once went to a boiler in a dreadful corroded condition because this fellow turned it on for only five minutes each morning to take the chill off the water in the hot tank for his family to wash in.

Tony Glazier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back