Condemned boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter lives in a rented property and the engineer who came to service the combi boiler (which is 18 months or so old, a cheapie) has condemned it and turned off the gas. I haven't the report in front of me but I'm told flue fumes were escaping into living room and there's a blockage in the system. The landlord wants to come over at weekend and re-clamp the flue. So... I understand this type of work should be carried out by a Gas Safe bod, but is that the law? Or can anyone tamper around and get a re-inspection/s by a Gas Safe bod until it becomes 'safe'? And or could anyone turn the gas back on - eg an over-eager landlord?

Sponsored Links
I'd have thought I'd the fix was that easy the boiler engineer would have fixed it there and then.

I'm not sure what the regs are, but I wouldn't be too happy about the landlord bridging it then getting it retested by a "mate" just so it has a pass.

Hope she has a carbon monoxide alarm

Sponsored Links
1. No one can work on a gas safe boiler unless they are what is called "competent".
2. To be competent you must have a current accreditation to an approved persons scheme. In the UK, for gas appliances, this is Gas Safe. There is no alternative.
3. Some people consider that the owner of a property can work on the gas appliances of the property they live in. So far as I know this has yet to be tested in court. It does not apply to the landlord of a property nor to the tenant. The landlord is not living in it and the tenant doesn't own it.
4. If the engineer has turned off the gas and issued an "At Risk" or "Immediately Dangerous" notice the boiler must not be used, nor, if disconnected, the supply to it re-connected, except by a gas safe registered engineer qualified for boilers.
5. In summary, the landlord must not touch the flue and then re-connect the gas. In practice, he / she should leave all such work to a properly qualified person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back