Condemned gas boiler in listed property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently my gas boiler was condemned during a recent service/inspection. It's an old ideal/stelrad from the early eighties so no surprise. Problem is, my flat is in a Georgian terrace building that is grade 2 listed. I'm on the top floor and currently the flue for the boiler exits via the chimney stack. I've been told that this is not allowed for a new boiler installation and a flue would need to exit the roof instead. Finally, I've also been told that I need to apply for planning permission before undertaking any work that changes the interior/exterior of the flat and or building. This sounds like a potential nightmare that could get expensive and time consuming even before I think about getting the boiler replaced.
My question is, under these circumstances of abruptly having no gas, therefore no hot water or heating, can I push my local council to agree to these changes without the need to wait countless weeks and pay hand over fist for planning permission?

Sponsored Links
Have you ever tried "pushing" the council? I think you are in for a cold wait! Seriously, though, exactly why was the boiler condemned?

this is a page from a halstead boiler, may be better than sitting in the cold, I have never fitted one of these so I strongly suggest you speak to halstead and an installer before making any plans.

View media item 31660

Recently my gas boiler was condemned during a recent service/inspection. It's an old ideal/stelrad from the early eighties so no surprise. ?
Well I am surprised - unless it`s a serious issue like Carbon Monoxide leak . But then I`m not Gas Safe registered , and am cynical about being sold new boilers @ the drop of a hat

Sponsored Links
Why exactly was it condemned, it may only need a good service, larger sized air vent or at worst a new flue liner, all a lot cheaper than a new boiler.

There are plenty of boilers which will allow you to put a concentric plastic flue up inside the chimney to a terminal at the chimney pot (or possibly out the side of the stack). On the other hand if the chimney is part of the reason for listing then no alteration of the chimney might be allowed and you have to go through the wall.

The planners may also/instead be willing to allow a flue outlet to the rear of the property, or a roof flue terminal to the rear, but not the front. They might even specify a dark coloured terminal instead of white, which will affect the choice of boiler.

You really need to speak to the planners and conservation officer at the local council urgently to find out what they will allow. Then you can look at your options.

You'll also come across what to do with condensate. On the second floor, this probably needs to run into a main drain inside, like after the sink U-bend. You may have cast iron soil stacks or collectors, which can be damaged by acid. There are condensate neutralisers available if other flow is not sufficient.

If you can provide a simple drawing/sketch with dimensions of the proposed new boiler flue terminal you can informally write to the planners to ask if they will agree that the change is "de minimus". ( Thats Latin for too small to be bothered about )

Most planning authorities understand the complications and will agree by letter at no cost to you. A photo of a similar flue outlet nearby will help.

Tony Glazier

Yeah, it was a serious CO issue. The engineer is a good friend so I'm pretty sure he's not trying to sell me something I don't need. I'm not too worried about the boiler having to be replaced, rather the red tape from the council.
He also mentioned something about condensing boilers causing complaints with local residents, something to do with the steam? My place is in a Bath Georgian townhouse - you can't blow your nose in there without consulting with the authorities first. Thanks for all your advice, probably try and find a helpful individual in planning and take your advice Agile - but not holding my breath.

Tell us the outcome.

Most that I have spoken to will agree and just want a letter with a drawing to put in their file. They accept that people need boilers and that boilers need flues.

Tony

Gas boilers that can be equipped with a flue inside a chimney include;

Worcester-Bosch (FS30CDi and FS40CDi)
Viessmann (various)
Kidd (all)
ATAG

The list is not exhaustive. We recently did a listed 400yr old house in Horsham with a Viessmann using the original chimney, I put pictures on our web site. The flue terminal is small and black; on the chimney top it would take a building control officer with a pair of binoculars and a picture of the old pot to know anyhting had changed.

What fun! This is where it helps to be in the same golf club as the conservation officer :mrgreen:

Can the baxi bermuda liner kit be used with other boilers?

1st step is to contact planning department and get written confirmation informing you what part/aspect of the building is listed before getting in a flap about doing the job. Hopefully it is just the frontage, and the back can be a free for all.

From previous experiances don't bother asking other occupants/neighbours about potential work, they'll just be arsey and say "its listed you can't do anything"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back