Boiler previously condemned ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to find out if a boiler has previously been condemned ?

I have my suspicions that the previous occupants may have told a few porkies about the system to help sell the house.

There are the remnants of a sticker across the boiler that I've noticed recently.

Ta
Dom

Sponsored Links
Engage services of a competent heating engineer. You need to contact someone who repairs and services boilers as opposed to someone who only fits. While I am not suggesting a fitter is a no user, mearly suggesting a repairer is likely to have encountered a greater number of borderline cases and will be able to 'see' the defects on your boiler.

Sticker remenant could well mean a defect was fixed, or sticker was removed to make believe no fault existed.

I'm having a whole new system fitted next month.

I was just curious if there was somewhere that condemned appliances were registered so it could be checked out when it was actually condemned.

only way you could check is to find out who last worked on it. Its always a good idea when purchasing a house to request a CP12 done on the property which will highlight any safety problems. I sometimes get requested to inspect systems by buyers that want a more detailed report on the age/condition of system as well as safety. Not only can it save you money but the report can be used to bargain the price down.

Sponsored Links
Because a boiler gets condemned does not mean it is perfectly repairable many small bits can cause a boiler to be condemned till fixed

Thanks for the replies guys.

There was more than just the heating problems covered up when we bought this house.

A couple of weeks after we moved in the neighbours told us that the previous occupants had some people over to sort out the windows.

A year later we found out that they had taped over all the rot and glossed it over.

This is a 15 year old house with windows that have rotted through, a heating system that is on its last legs and numerous other faults.

Hey ho ......

I get the impression that BG are one of the largest comdemners of boilers.

Virtually all independents dont get paid if they condemn any boiler !

An independent will want to put the boiler right and get paid for the job.

Tony

So you carry every part then Tony or have access to it that day

You are up against the honesty of the seller, when an RGI finds a non compliant, At Risk, or Immediately Dangerous situation, we have to deal with it in a specific way, non compliant, can be left working, but a notice has to be handed to the responsible person for the property (Owner), At Risk situations require us to turn off the appliance, and advice the RP not to use the appliance untill the defects are rectified. Immediately Dangerous appliances have to be Disconnected from the Gas supply so thatv they cannot be used until the defects are repaired, in all cases a Warning notice is handed to the RP, un-fortunately we do not have to notify Gas Safe Register or the HSE etc, so there is no register of defective appliances, if any un approved person puts an appliance whicxh is subject to a warning notice back into use, they risk 1) possible death and 2) a £5,000 fine.... but who the hell would Know? :idea: It would be a very positive move if copies of all warning notices issues had to be sent to Gas Safe, I wounder what other RGI's think about this?

A leaking seal would be a perfect reason to condemn the boiler, but can often be solved for £5 in parts plus labour, after which the boiler would be completely safe to use. This is why they don't get registered.

It would be a very positive move if copies of all warning notices issues had to be sent to Gas Safe, I wounder what other RGI's think about this?

they have enough trouble registering engineers let alone what they get up to!
tbh I think its completely unworkable and would eat up hundreds of thousands of hours of man hours every year at a cost to??
yep you guessed it, its us again ;)

... It would be a very positive move if copies of all warning notices issues had to be sent to Gas Safe, I wounder what other RGI's think about this?
Complete waste of time as far as I am concerned; people that want to dodge and bodge would find a way around it anyway.

:idea: It would be a very positive move if copies of all warning notices issues had to be sent to Gas Safe, I wounder what other RGI's think about this?

I think that would be a great idea but I'm not a gas installer so don't know your side of the industry.

It would certainly stop (or deter) people from trying to pull a fast one when they come to sell a property and if the worst did happen and someone was killed or injured down to this persons negligence then it would be much easier to see if a defect notice was served on a property.

often a particular boiler has a particular fault that regularly occurs on it
i:e ideal icos/isar potterton suprima - PCB failure
so if you like to post the details of the boiler someone will give you a clear indication of known faults and likely outcome (can't guarantee the info but it may help)

It would certainly stop (or deter) people from trying to pull a fast one when they come to sell a property.

Thats why I mentioned earlier its a good idea to do your own checks. Your paying hundreds of thousands of pounds on a home and you only need to spend another £50 or so to get someone to make sure its safe before you hand over the money. Its a no brainer if you ask me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back