condemning a boiler

Thanks Tony,
It was the was she has handled it all that was our issue, It's not a huge amount of money, we just feel like we have not had all the information, no matter how many times we ask. Also i have never known a company pass their delivery charges on to the customer.

Sponsored Links
becky2812, we still dont have enough info to say one way or the other really.

the only thing we can say for sure is that when a RGI finds an appliance unsafe their is paperwork that needs to be handed to you explaining why.

she may be completely correct in the action she has taken other then not doing the paperwork.

she may of repaired your boiler then once doing her checks found a problem.

you could asked Gas safe register in and ask their opinion for free

Its too late to call Gas Safe now the boiler has been replaced.

Its a cost of acquiring the parts and thats rightly passed on to the customer. But not usually over £10.

She seems to be charging you the £10 for getting th ewrong part which may be her fault or just as a result of being one of those difficult cases when its not clear which one it is.

We just dont know!

But she should have told you whats wrong bioth verbally and in a written notice! She customer relatiojns skills are not very good. I doubt you will be going to her again in a hurry or recommending her to anyone!

Tony

Just a point why would you service something just to condemn it?

I can understand if a service was required to fix and make the boiler safe then it is necessary.

Its like having a car accident and getting a bill for replacing the engine damage, and then being told the chassis is twisted, and therefore going to the scrap yard...

Just doesnt make sense....

Sponsored Links
It is not uncommon to have to repair a boiler only to find it is unsafe when you have the opportunity to test it.

Your recollection seems to have changed through the course of this thread and it would now seem that the boiler does not belong to you and you did not have most of the conversations with the repairer yourself.

This, and the fact that the 'trustworthy' plumber mate of your partner did not seem to raise any objections about the merits of changing the boiler himself suggests to me that the original repairer was telling the truth.

Her charges seem reasonable to me on the basis of what she has done; I would imagine she made a loss out of your job and is pleased to see the back of you.

Agile she took out the part which cost 200 quid and is asking for payment incurred as delivery charge,this is after the boiler is condemned

Sometimes it happens,you actually have to get the boiler going before you can see all its faults.

The other installer as Simon says must have agreed with her diagnoses because he did not query it,and changed out the boiler

The mistake she made was not giving you the paperwork for the ID situation,thats all i can see.

Ah i see you sneaked the 84 quid "diagnostic fee" in again Agile ,been fitting any kitchen sinks lately!!!!

T expect that I am probably one of a very few installers who if asked to quote to install a new boiler would ask about the existing one and offer to repair it.

Tony

I would disagree there as a lot of guys would rather repair than replace.

But i can see your point for someone who doesnt know how to fit a sink a boiler install sounds way above your capabilities so your better sticking to repairs

without us knowing what was originally wrong with the boiler we all cant comment,if it it was worth repairing or not.what she has done wrong is though.she should of first asked you permission to disconnect the aplliance.if an ID then you get the gas transporter out to disconnect if permission isnt granted.so 9 out of 10.customers dont argue.secondly on a any warning given, be it a sticker or notice. a description of faults has to be given as to the cause of the warning issue.she hasnt been very proffesional on that front.

thank you for all of the replies.
I haven't had the conversations myslef with the plumber as i'm out at work all day, and my partner works from home, so he dealt with it.

We took her at her word and asked the new plumber just to replace the old one. We didn't ask him to look to reparing it. Would he even be allowed with the sticker on?

My partner has had further email conversations with her today, stating that we are not prepared to pay her delivery charges for parts, and pointing out that she did not issue us with any documention regarding the condemnation, her reply is to report her!? and that she is selling the debt on. she is now back to saying that she left a new £300 gas valve in the old boiler but is not charging us for that.

She seems to be a real hard case!

Do you have the original invoice showing no gas valve?

If she gets too problematic then you could sue her for harassment.

Its such a pity that you disposed of the old boiler while still arguing with her.

Tony

Can't see she has done anything wrong other than not write out a detailed warning notice.

I'll put you in the rogue customer file.

with hindsight, i wish we'd got the second plumber to look at it before removing it, but we just asked him to remove, and replace it.

we have sent a cheque (which she has acknowledged receipt of) for payment minus the delivery charge for the part. I know of no other business where the delivery charge for parts is passed on to the customer.

the fact that she cannot make her mind up as to whether a £300 part in the old boiler, just makes us wary.

the only invoice we have is for £120, with no breakdown, everything else was verbally ont he phone, or by email

with hindsight, i wish we'd got the second plumber to look at it before removing it, but we just asked him to remove, and replace it.

we have sent a cheque (which she has acknowledged receipt of) for payment minus the delivery charge for the part. I know of no other business where the delivery charge for parts is passed on to the customer.
the fact that she cannot make her mind up as to whether a £300 part in the old boiler, just makes us wary.

the only invoice we have is for £120, with no breakdown, everything else was verbally ont he phone, or by email

are you serious? why should she pay for the part to be delivered, the only mistake she made on this item is to tell you about the delivery charge, i would have included it in the price, its the same as me going to get it, why should i go for it without making a profit? that bit aside i dont think she is very professional and would do my best to pass round the bad word about her, she sounds inexperienced and wants you to pay for her mistakes, ask her how long she has been Gas Safe Registered, and advise her she has not complied with the IUP (Industry Unsafe Procedures) 6th edition, and rather than harrasing customers she should spend some time learning the gas regs that govern her at work, that should p1ss her off

usually when someone tells you ''ive just saved you life'' they should really tell you how.
what other aspects of her work is she forgetting? perhaps there was nothing wrong with your boiler and she needed a few quid for her new customer care classes.
you live and learn though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back