Small socket ring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The house we have recently moved into had a socket fitted on the skirting in the kitchen that had its very own fuse on the main board.
As i didnt want this socket on the skirting, i switched it off at the main board, pulled the cable back through to the cellar, and filled the hole that it left in the skirting.

Now, i am thinking of setting up a couple of twin sockets in the cellar using the cable that i pulled from the kitchen skirting.
I was thinking of running the existing cable direct to a twin socket, and then daisy chain a second twin from this.
Would 2.5mm twin and earth be ok for this?

cheers

Lee

Sponsored Links
Providing that the fuse/MCB is rated at either 16 or 20 amps then 2.5mm twin and earth would be fine for this requirement.
This work will be under the restrictions of part P and will require inspection.

Technically it's an alteration to an existing circuit with the addition of an extra outlet. Work is not a special installation or in a special location so where does Part P come into play?

Technically it's an alteration to an existing circuit with the addition of an extra outlet. Work is not a special installation or in a special location so where does Part P come into play?

Part P is a section of the Building Regulations. All electrical installation work in dwellings falls within the scope of Part P.

However, not all work requires notification. ;)

Sponsored Links
I worded it wrong, he suggested the work would need inspecting which is what I disagreed with ;)

Ah that was me getting confused thinking a basement was a special location. It could get damp so RCD protection would be an advantage.

I worded it wrong, he suggested the work would need inspecting...

All electrical work, however minor, should be inspected... regardless of whether or not it needs to be notified to LABC, via either of the two main routes to compliance.

Incorrect terminology is one of the major causes of confusion over what is, or is not, required. ;)

I worded it wrong, he suggested the work would need inspecting...

All electrical work, however minor, should be inspected... regardless of whether or not it needs to be notified to LABC, via either of the two main routes to compliance.

Incorrect terminology is one of the major causes of confusion over what is, or is not, required. ;)

Inspecting by building control ;)

As a working electrician I know what should and shouldn't be done and it's something I've argued on here at times but it seems DIY'ers don't need to work to the same standard.
I doubt a MWC will be completed and the only testing would be to plug something in to see if it works.

Anyway, no notification or inspection by building control required.

I disagree with that as OP is adding a 'new' cct in a new location.

pulled the cable back through to the cellar

I know it is a grey area but just my interpretation

It's only a new circuit if it has it's own mcb in the consumer unit.

You can replace ALL the cable of a circuit and add socket outlets (if not in a kitchen or special location) without notifying. Strictly speaking the old cable has to be damaged, but there's nothing to stop you from damaging it with a hammer.

I disagree with that as OP is adding a 'new' cct in a new location.

pulled the cable back through to the cellar

I know it is a grey area but just my interpretation

No grey area here, cable still connected in consumer unit, MCB switched off, cable pulled back and re-located. How is that a new circuit?
It's an alteration to an existing circuit. If you moved an outside light fitting from one side of the house to the other side (cable routed in loft) would you also consider that to be a new circuit? No!

A new circuit would be new cabling installed directed from the consumer unit to all points on that circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back